Old 12-21-2010, 08:41 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Define a "Clear dome" in your oven please

Hi Dino!

Thanks for the comparative pics of the two oven temperatures. The cleared oven sure shows off your clean brickwork!

What's interesting is the band of clear dome next to the floor suggesting the floor is contributing to the dome clearing upwards and the clear band of chicken just inside the ovenproof dish. Can you guess the oven temp in the first photo?

John
Old 12-21-2010, 09:29 AM

Quote:
OK, so, its a reliable indication of a narrow temperature range in any WFO I would build?
Well, not so narrow. It's an indicator of a temperature at which pizza cooks. You could of course blast air at the fire and take it up well past those temperatures, and it would still remain clear. The basic idea is to build a big fire until it clears, then feed the fire slowly to keep it hot and flaming while you cook pizza.

As a side note, the oven clears from the top down, since of course heat rises. I tend to do pizza when there is still a narrow band of carbon a few inches above the floor. Much hotter than that in my oven and it's really easy to burn the bottom of the pizza.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-21-2010, 09:30 AM
Master Builder

John,

During my start ups I also get that distinct separation of soot at the bottom of the dome.
Actually, the bottom of the dome stays relatively clear at all times for the most part. At start up soot never seem to reach the bottom areas of the chamber, so it can be somewhat deceiving as it is still relatively cool around the bottom perimeter.
Clearing usually occurs from the dome top and will gradually work itself down until the chamber is completely white.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO
Old 12-21-2010, 10:45 AM
Apprentice

I have a question concerning this clear dome. I have had the dome clear, and the top center middle shows just over 1000 degrees, but then sometimes the floor, and by that , I mean the floor area exactly where I would be planning on cooking the pizza will be sometimes 800. I thought that 725 was the goal, at least for the area of the floor that you plan to cook.

So, I see the value of burning off the soot, but what about the optimum floor temp?

Thanks
Old 12-21-2010, 11:28 AM
Journeyman

If you've just moved the coals off of that spot, I would bet the floor will be much higher than 725. I think that 725 is a good temperature (+-50*). When I notice it taking longer to cook the crust I move coals back over to re-heat. You can cook on hotter, but don't take your eyes off of it. My fastest pizza was my first... 45 seconds. That was too hot. Now, I usually start with a unadorned pizza to test.
Lburou-I bought a laser temp gauge initially and used it, but after 5 pizza go-rounds, I would be comfortable going by experience. It'll all come together once you start cooking.

Old 12-21-2010, 01:26 PM
Apprentice

the $25.00 for the thermometer is a good investment, but it's more for entertainment than anything else.. guests will use it more than you will....my kids grab it and get the cats to chase the red dot around the floor
Old 12-21-2010, 03:03 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

You got that right Stonylake: the temp gun gives guests something to do (I've got to 'release' and let others make some pizza's but I just can't is there a wfo therapist in the house?)

And John (GianniFoccacia) I'm not sure what temp the chicken pic is. It was an earlier pic and you can see it's burning a bit on top and uncooked at the bottom. I'm actually quite embarrassed by that pic. I now do my chickens in a shallow metal pan to get color/crispness from top to bottom and I'm better at heat management for the type of food. But I must admit it was that temperature laser gun that got (is getting) me there.

I tend to burn my pizza crusts if I don't keep my floor at 650 to 725 deg. I find I'm either cooling my oven floor off (damp mop) or raking the coals back on to re-charge. My pizza dough is very wet (high hydration) and usually 100% sour-dough risen so I think it's a bit more 'tender' and wants the cooler floor. But that's another thread .

I really enjoy everyone comments on how they cook...what temps: I'm always learning more things or challenging what I "thought" was correct or working out for me.
-Thanks, Dino

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet

My Oven Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 03:32 PM
Master Builder

Yes, as Dino pointed out, it will be around 800 - 875 deg F always and forever. You can place thermocouples in strategic places or use an IR thermometer to give you an absolute temperature. But I think I speak for most of us in saying that the dome clearing is our best and only indicator of when it's time to cook Pizza!!! You will find out where your sweet and not-so-sweet spots are in your oven once you've cooked in it for a while.