Old 02-13-2007, 09:10 PM
Master Builder

Default Re: Black and White Ovens

James, that work is beautiful. I'm a bit confused on the dimensions though - it looks a lot taller than the picture of your oven entry with your old door. I'd love to see a picture of it in place. Have you had a chance to use it yet? I'm interested to hear the experience with the draft door. I wonder if it will cut down on wood use or heat up times?
Old 02-14-2007, 04:25 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Maver,

Originally, I made up two doors, one for baking, one for draft control. The draft door was just a piece of sheet steel that had warped badly and was about to burn through when Lloyd suggested the project. What he did was combine the dimensions of both my old doors. The height has to do with the fact that, in draft mode, it has to lean from just in front of the oven mouth to the upper inside of the flue. The cutouts at the top are there to clear the corbelling inside the first bit of the vent.

I've found that using a draft door guarantees a bright fire. Don't know about reducing wood consumption, but it is much better for heat build up. I put it on as soon as the kindling and a few bigger pieces have caught nicely. Once the chimney starts to "huff," I pile on more wood and walk away. This way, I've found that I don't have to tend the fire as much.

I will get some pics of it in place later this week. Unfortunately, right now we're in the midst of of a humungous snow storm, first of the season. The poet got it wrong: February "is the cruelist month," not April.

Jim

Last edited by CanuckJim; 02-14-2007 at 04:25 AM. Reason: repeat
Old 02-14-2007, 04:46 AM
Brick Oven Merchant

And on the FB door, the photo is of a custom door we did specifically for one oven. The stand door has the 20"x12.5"x10" dimension.
Good catch.
James

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-16-2007, 12:26 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Maver,

Have a look at the photo gallery for pics of the oven in operation. Works like a charm. One side benefit is that when I want to vent the steam, all I have to do is open the slide for it to escape. Used to be that I had to remove the entire door to do this; not a good move, especially in winter.

Jim
Old 02-17-2007, 11:58 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Very nice door CJ....good to see the artistic touches

Tiempo para guzarlos.....
...enjoy every sandwich!