Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   Heat Management (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f17/)
-   -   automatic conversion of temps (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f17/automatic-conversion-temps-5187.html)

carioca 10-01-2008 02:01 AM

automatic conversion of temps

Hello James,

You're a bit of a programmer, so I wonder how easy it would be to have a tool available within the forum links bar that translates say, Ken's "balmy 208" of retained heat into degrees centigrade for your increasingly cosmopolitan membership?!

Cheers.

LMH

Frances 10-01-2008 04:44 AM

Re: automatic conversion of temps

Hey, that'd be quite good. You could specify in your profile which kind of measurements you prefer...

...but its probably too complicated. You'd have to enter each measurement with some kind of marker or whatever, and it's get all messed up if people entered it wrong. Still, nice idea.

Ken524 10-01-2008 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carioca (Post 41907)
...I wonder how easy it would be to have a tool available within the forum links bar that translates say, Ken's "balmy 208" of retained heat into degrees centigrade for your increasingly cosmopolitan membership?!

Funny you should mention that. When I was writing that post, I planned on adding the conversion in parenthesis, but got distracted and forgot (sorry :o ).

Whenever I need a conversion, I head over to Google. Google has a super simple converter built into their search engine. Give it a try.

Go to Google and enter: 280f to c or 135c to f
Google will spit the answer right out. This also works with many other units.

CanuckJim 10-01-2008 09:42 AM

Ken, Frances, Carioca,

ThermoWorks provides free, nifty temp conversion software on their site for Mac or PC. Go here: ThermoWorks – Software. This is the UK manufacturer of the ThermoPen instant read thermometer I use every day for everything. It's a thermocouple, not a thermister, so it's fast and very accurate. Not cheap but highly recommended.

Jim

james 10-01-2008 10:00 AM

I use Google. As someone who has one foot firmly planted in each camp, I find it useful. As I get older, I just can't do the conversions in my head any more (or remember phone numbers for that matter).
James

RTflorida 10-01-2008 05:36 PM

CJ, thanks for the link. I know you have mentioned this pen before, I could not remember the brand (and have been too lazy/busy) to search previous posts. Ordering one tonight and will try downloading their software too.

thanks again

RT

Ken524 10-01-2008 06:34 PM

Jim,

Which ThermoPen model do you suggest? They have:
Super-Fast, Plug-Mount, High-Accuracy and "Other Types".

I really like my InfraRed/laser from the FB store, but the probe on it is slow to come up to temp (I guess it's a thermister type?).

CanuckJim 10-02-2008 06:14 AM

Ken,

Go for the Super Fast; it's all you'll need. Reads from -58 to +572F.

Jim

PizzaPolice 10-02-2008 06:56 AM

Don't forget Converber.
"Converber is a unit converter. It is a powerful software utility that will help make easy conversions between 1208 various units of measure in 32 categories. Converber converts everything from length and force to flow and temperature." ...And it's free.
Unit Converter - Converber

Ken524 10-02-2008 07:02 AM

Thanks CJ! It's on my Christmas list.