Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Oven Management > Heat Management

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2006, 04:20 AM
Journeyman

Marcel:

The main difference between the pizza oven and the interior house heating ‘oven’ is that in the first one you are treating to maintain the interior of the oven as hot as possible. You like the heat maintained in it along with fire. On the house heating one, you look by irradiating heat. You are using the ‘oven’ just to ‘support’ the fire in it. When this one is irradiating too much, you decrease the ‘gas’ by turn off the oxygen (CO2 increasing).
Yes, Marcel, the use of the word flux in place of flow is an old problem of mine, that you already show to me before. I am an old horse 
However, the concepts are maintained. The flux of gases is not exactly like the volume of gases. The volume of gases will be the volume of the surface of the container. When the gas is in moving, it responds the aerodynamic laws! Think about the flux of your fan, when used in summer. It is all of the volume of your room fully of ‘wind’ or just a, lets said, cylinder of air?
Finally, the damper is a resource as the ash slot is. I do not have this last one, and I am pretty sure that I do not need it.

Luis
Old 05-29-2006, 07:04 AM
Journeyman

Thumbs up Damper valve used for bread, not for pizza.

(M) Luis, yesterday, when I had a friend bring dough we made 2 successful pizzas. We had some dough left over. We used the dough to make a small loaf of bread.

(M) Since bread baking uses the residual heat of the oven, bread baking is done without a fire continuing to burn. I wanted to retain as much remaining heat as possible.

(M) In this bread baking project I found a perfect use for the damper. Since the fire was out I could close the damper without worrying about choking the fire. Closing the damper kept heat from escaping up the chimney flue.

(M) This morning my oven is still warm. So for me, the best use of the damper is when there is *no* fire still showing in the oven and when I want to bake bread, not pizza.

Obrigado,

Marcel
Old 05-29-2006, 07:28 AM
Journeyman

Marcel:

It is launch time here.
Is too hard thinking about hot and yummy bread at this time. Hands shaking.
The last words about damper, I hope.
In my oven, there are two ‘doors’, the one that is part of the proper dome and the second one that is the ‘landing door’.
In the middle of these two doors is located the chimney.
When baking same foods in residual heat, the first door, the inner one, is that is closed.
No function for the damper, that is on the outer side.

Mmm, bread…

Luis
Old 06-08-2006, 11:16 AM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrakeRemoray
Robert, How big is your oven floor and how tall is the dome?

Thanks,
Drake
sorry for the delay, drake. the floor is 42 inches and the dome appears to be 24-25 inches high (although i kinda stuck a tape measure in there and eyeballed it because i didn't want to get my shirt dirty). i'll do a better job when i get my swim suit on this evening ...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-08-2006, 12:15 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thanks Robert,

That is pretty high, I am aiming for a 38" oven with a 20" dome...hope that is not too high, but I want to have some moisture in the oven when baking bread so I decided to go with a Tuscan design...

Drake
Old 06-08-2006, 12:43 PM
Apprentice

it is high. i built my oven back during the dawn of modern pompeii oven construction, before the vane or beach ball technique had been developed, when pepperonis still roamed the wild plains of ... oh never mind.

in any event, i've been very happy with mine in spite of the height. i think it the extra height does add an extra minute to pizza cooking but on the other hand i suspect that it may confer an advantage to roasting. sometime in the next year my nephew-in-law and i will build another oven and i will be able to directly compare a high dome with a low dome. a full report will be forthcoming.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-08-2006, 12:53 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

You are going to rival James for the "most wood burning ovens" award.
Old 06-08-2006, 01:10 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrakeRemoray
You are going to rival James for the "most wood burning ovens" award.
at best, i can only stand in the shadow of his domes ...

Old 10-15-2011, 08:42 PM
Serf

Default Re: Heat Management

Jim,

I realize this thread is 5 years old, but just read it to get a better perspective on what I'm doing right and wrong. Good info. I have a question for you, though.

-What do you mean by "draft damper?" I'm considering making a door that covers most of the oven entry arch (not the cooking chamber) to use while the fire is really getting rolling. It would have adjustable holes in the bottom that might help the combustion chamber draw a series of very concentrated and laminar streams of fresh air in towards the base of the fire. My thought is that this would accomplish (1) the same thing as using a fire bellows and (2) would keep smoke from exiting the front of the oven entry arch.

Maybe this sounds whacky, but maybe not. Just trying to figure out some better ways of getting more efficient combustion while waiting for white bricks to appear inside. Could be looking for more trouble than it's worth.

Best wishes,

Casey
Old 10-16-2011, 09:47 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Appropriate Heat

Quote:
Just trying to figure out some better ways of getting more efficient combustion while waiting for white bricks to appear inside
Casey,

You're on the right track. Review these two recent threads and let us know your ideas.

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...oor-16788.html (New blast door.)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/g...view-5169.html (Glass door for the view)