Old 03-29-2008, 10:38 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Acoma's cure

DMUN, sounds like your logic to making thinner bricks is making more sense. We now have more debates for future builders

Acoma's Tuscan:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-29-2008, 10:56 AM
Master Builder

That's what I was thinking. For those of us that haven't built yet, just one more variable to reconsider
Old 03-29-2008, 03:00 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I recall a wood fired kiln I made about 30 years ago, that was made using loose stacked bricks. I had a thermocouple (or pyrometer) rigged up to it and had it full of kids pottery (for a biscuit firing). I had them go out of class and fossick for wood for a greater understanding of the whole process. Because I was teaching class I was forevever running up and down the back stairs of the art room to throw on wood. The temp was going up and down like crazy. The result was a lot of fine cracks in the pots. This tells me that refractory materials don't like temp fluctuations (especially at low temps) We like to get our ovens up to temp as quickly as possible when we should probably always do it slowly (ie do not exceed 100 C/Hr) But who has time for that. Live with small cracks. Sorry about the long story, but it is a good illustration of what happens.
Old 03-29-2008, 08:21 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

David, thank you for sharing your history on the subject. Definately gets us to know more of each others past history on the subject. I bet the class was grateful for the experience.
Robert

Acoma's Tuscan:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-30-2008, 01:45 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Another observation I've made regarding WFO temp is that generally flame will increase your temp while a good bed of coals will simply maintain the temp. and the removal or not, of coals, once your oven is up to temp, makes little difference to temp drop.
Old 03-30-2008, 08:08 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

David, I was thinking about that logic while doing a pizza party last night. I would take out 80% of the coals and replace with fresh log or two to maintain nice flame and heat balance throughout. I used the coals to sread over the front area inbetween pizzas, and shifting coals, logs to opposite side every 3rd pizza. Worked great to keep the heat perfectly high on the floor and dome.

Acoma's Tuscan:

Old 03-30-2008, 01:23 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Method perfection. Sounds like you've got it nailed.