Old 03-24-2008, 02:34 PM
Journeyman

Default Re: Acoma's cure

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjbingham View Post
RC,
Did you try Dave's method from his vid? Its pretty easy to do and produces a surprisingly round pie.
I'm trying his method, I think I'm doing smaller dough balls though. In a 825 gram batch I'm dividing it into 6 pieces or 140 grams each. So more like individual pies but they are good. I think I'll increase the weight of each ball by half next time. Still won't be as big as Dave is doing, I think he's over 250g.
I guess what is wrong with a football shaped pie.

"It's time to go Vertical"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-24-2008, 03:20 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjbingham View Post
RC,
Did you try Dave's method from his vid? Its pretty easy to do and produces a surprisingly round pie.

Can you send a link to the video. Thanks.
Old 03-24-2008, 06:38 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Certainly nothing wrong with an oblong pizza. They taste the same, regardless of the shape.

-
Old 03-25-2008, 04:58 AM
Master Builder

I agree. There is something cool about "rustic" pizza shapes. My last pizza was in the shape of Michigan. The kids thought I did it on purpose!
Old 03-25-2008, 01:56 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalucca2003 View Post
Can you send a link to the video. Thanks.
Here's dave photo site

Picasa Web Albums - Dwats - Dough Techniques

Really educational and entertaining.

"It's time to go Vertical"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-28-2008, 11:00 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I have been applying furnace cement to the outside of my dome yesterday and today, and firing temps to upper 800's with outside reaching 120's. This of course is without the blanket. I believe now that the cause of the cracks is the varying methods applied to the dome, not the arch.

For the dome, I believe every course from solder to top should be mortard. I did not do the solder to 2nd because I was going straight up, that was not smart.

I also had that period where courses 4-6 had huge mortared backsides 1 1/8, not smart.

I then had courses 6-8 with shaved inner faces to get my keystone to its 21 inch.

Looking back, with these applications, I believe the oven had irregular weight distributions and expansion rates. I screwed up on these areas because I was not thinking. My mind was set on how damn cold it was out there, the limited space, and the area to work with. I wanted it done, even though I was attempting patience.

Suggestion, plan smart, and stick to the design. Changing a design while in build will not create any benefit.

I still love my oven, and now, with my medical (oven) degree, I can help heal patients (ovens) with more care

Acoma's Tuscan:

Old 03-28-2008, 02:06 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Acoma,
Many kilns are made where the fire bricks are loose stacked ie they have no mortar, so the structure is free to move under expansion and contraction. Don't worry too much about fine cracks. It is not a good idea to start firing just after you've added mortar. This is asking for trouble. I believe that a lot of the problems occur at relatively low temps (ambient to 250 C) where there is considerable expansion and its hard to keep your fire very small at this early stage.
Old 03-28-2008, 02:13 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thanks David. Actually, the furnace cement is fine after a little while. It's been tested yesterday and today, and is holding great. Agree about not firing right after adding mortar. Les is doing his oven on the mortarless principle, so this will be a fun oven to see with completion and burns.

Acoma's Tuscan:

Old 03-28-2008, 09:08 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I dunno Robert. You can second guess your work until the end of time. You did a really nice job and went far and above what many others have done! How many ovens have you seen recently that don't have cracks? I think builders now are just more willing to point them out when the build is done. Kind of like exposing yourself in public, and not living up to the measurement.

Look at you temperature differential from inside the dome to outiside. If the dome heated evenly, it would be much less prone to cracking. You'd need to apply heat to the outside too to make it cure and expand evenly, which is not how these ovens operate. You can't pretend that the physical properties involved in the materials you used don't have an effect. The oven gets heated from the inside, and will warm outward. Every brick in the dome will expand greater towards the interior of the dome faster than it does on the exterior of the dome. There's incredible stresses on placed on the bricks and mortar by heating on just one side.

Perhaps dmun's thinner dome walls are really a good idea - cutting down the thickness of the bricks in the dome. Faster transmission of the heat from interior to exterior equals more even heating and less stress on the brick and mortar. (Silly really - it makes totaly sense now and I'm kicking myself in the butt)!

Just a WAG (wild ass guess). Embrase your cracks!

-

Last edited by gjbingham; 03-29-2008 at 10:09 AM.
Old 03-29-2008, 09:50 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thinner does make sense. Hind sight is incredibly clear... I wished I went with 1/3 brick cuts. The benefits are obvious, less weight, less material, and faster heat up times. And as you point out, may reduce cracking.

Les...

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.