Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   Firing Your Oven (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f16/)
-   -   wood at the grocery store (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f16/wood-grocery-store-5437.html)

egalecki 10-29-2008 03:54 PM

wood at the grocery store

There were bundles of split firewood outside Kroger today- about 8 per bundle, less than 24" long. For $3.99!!!!! Someone's making out like a bandit there! I don't think I could get my oven to clear with what was in those bundles. Good thing I have a supply and a willing husband to split it!

dmun 10-29-2008 07:21 PM

Re: wood at the grocery store

Some of that wood is imported from Estonia. As if we don't have forests on the east coast.

chuckster 10-30-2008 06:24 AM

Good to see "willing husbands" getting some coverage!

Lovin' every minute of it - Chuck

egalecki 10-30-2008 07:34 AM

I know that when we order studs for building, a lot of the packs come from Europe, but I didn't realize that they were importing firewood as well. Cripes.

Wiley 10-30-2008 09:17 AM

I would suspect (no pun intended) that somebody is filling excess space in containers with the firewood. Only I would be curious if the firewood has gone thru some sort of fumigation for pests. Finished dimensional wood probably doesn't need such treatment because it has no bark etc. But if they are funigating pallets I could see a need for such treatment of raw "bark on" firewood.

Excess space and need for weight (ballast) has always been a problem in shipping. We have several buildings in Port Townsend that were built out of cut stone that was loaded as ballast. And it was not uncommon in the days of sail for ships plying the South Seas to fill excess space below decks with coconuts because they took up lots of space and floated.

Wiley

n2iko 11-01-2008 02:40 PM

I suspect the tageted market for bundled retail firewood is for those people
who have a fireplace and only use it once or twice a month. I see it mostly as a bachelor purchase. :D

Les 11-01-2008 06:23 PM

Elizabeth - the market down the street is selling about one cubic foot for $6.99. Don't know what kind of wood it is, but at that price, it should self ignite and burn quite a while...

brokencookie 11-03-2008 08:17 AM

At that price you might consider using dollar bills instead - it might be cheaper :D

jengineer 11-04-2008 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wiley (Post 43806)
I would suspect (no pun intended) that somebody is filling excess space in containers with the firewood. Only I would be curious if the firewood has gone thru some sort of fumigation for pests. Finished dimensional wood probably doesn't need such treatment because it has no bark etc. But if they are funigating pallets I could see a need for such treatment of raw "bark on" firewood.

Excess space and need for weight (ballast) has always been a problem in shipping. We have several buildings in Port Townsend that were built out of cut stone that was loaded as ballast. And it was not uncommon in the days of sail for ships plying the South Seas to fill excess space below decks with coconuts because they took up lots of space and floated.

Wiley

Plus the Pallets and crates were used to ship GI's kits home from WWII. That stuff brought us many pests. If I remember the PBS special on either a type of termite or gypsy moths they were stowaways. Zebra mussels are another that have made their claim on the great lakes.

Frances 11-05-2008 01:28 AM

Weird how these things work out, isn't it? ...Around here they're worried that red squirrels will be replaced by American grey ones, that black swans will become a threat to white ones and that raccons will somehow upset the ecosystem.

I saw firewood an sale here at 10 USD for 15 kilos... that'd be about 33 lb, but how much wood is it?