Old 01-10-2014, 03:43 PM
Serf

Default Re: Winter time WFO use ???

Chris,

Thanks for starting this thread. I'm in Ohio and this is my first winter with a WFO. I have not used my oven this winter and have the same concerns. I do not have cracks, but last week when it was literally below zero, I could see moisteure inside the oven and have wondered if my insulation is wet.

If this is true, is it still safe to fire it up? Also, is wet insulation a major deal, or do I have to go through a curing process every spring?

Thanks to all for any input.

Joe
Old 01-11-2014, 11:38 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosewood View Post
Chris,

Thanks for starting this thread. I'm in Ohio and this is my first winter with a WFO. I have not used my oven this winter and have the same concerns. I do not have cracks, but last week when it was literally below zero, I could see moisteure inside the oven and have wondered if my insulation is wet.

If this is true, is it still safe to fire it up? Also, is wet insulation a major deal, or do I have to go through a curing process every spring?

Thanks to all for any input.

Joe
If you see visible moisture, then you need to figure out why it's there, for starters. If it is condensation, then your masonry is probably not saturated.

Yes, wet insulation is a problem......

If you have a penetration that is letting water into your enclosure, or through your stucco, then its a good bet you will need to dry out your oven with a gradual heating schedule...because your insulation and masonry is wet. BTW, you are not 'curing' the oven with fires, you are drying it out.....the mortar is already cured when dying fires are started.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Current WFO build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 01-11-2014, 01:58 PM
Serf

Thanks for the feedback. The only thing I can think could be causing the moisture is the decrative stone I have over the actual oven. If it is pourous than water could be coming from the top. I did water proof the outside with a spray on sealant at the end of the summer when I knew it was totally dry.

Is this going to cause long term issues, or does it just mean that I will have to dry it out before useing it when it is very wet?
Old 01-11-2014, 02:29 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Pictures would help. I doubt your problem is water absorption through the stonework.

Current WFO build -

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 01-17-2014, 10:49 AM
Serf

I've found it hilarious that you guys up north wait for summer to roll around to be able to enjoy your oven and in the deep south, we can't wait for winter to roll around to be able to enjoy our oven. Summer is TOO hot here for a 900F fire!