Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Oven Management > Firing Your Oven

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2013, 12:00 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: What is wrong??

It will even get better overtime with a good insulated door. The heart of the fire is not important, the temp of the bricks is, and once you get the oven fully dry you may see even longer heat retention.

Mine is still 106 F today and I cooked twice since I had fire, once for some chicken and once to bake bread, fire was 8 days ago and average ambient has been about 55F - 40's at night and 70's in the daytime.

Last edited by mrchipster; 09-21-2013 at 12:05 PM.
Old 09-21-2013, 06:23 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrchipster View Post
It will even get better overtime with a good insulated door. The heart of the fire is not important, the temp of the bricks is, and once you get the oven fully dry you may see even longer heat retention.

Mine is still 106 F today and I cooked twice since I had fire, once for some chicken and once to bake bread, fire was 8 days ago and average ambient has been about 55F - 40's at night and 70's in the daytime.
Wow, 8 days ! Amazing!

Can you tell me how hot the floor bricks should be getting optimally ?

Well thus far I have made a rudimentary door cut from a leftover sheet of calcium silicate board. And I left a gap at the bottom for a little air flow. The gap is an inch high/ten wide. The door to sheets thick, so less than an inch. I'm going to remake the door, double thick plus a wooden outer skin. With a thermometer. But what of the gap, necessary ?

Bob

Always ready for pizza

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-21-2013, 06:58 PM
Journeyman

My floor bricks right next to the fire get to about 800 degrees. That is too hot to cook pizza on so I push all the coals to the side and normally wait about 30 minutes before cooking. I suspect your oven is still a bit damp which is why the floor is not getting any hotter yet. If you are clearing your dome then the roof and wall temperatures are correct.

Well done! Keep at it - I'm sure you will get your floor temperature up with time.
Old 09-21-2013, 08:42 PM
Master Builder

Hey chipster

That's amazing cooking 8 days after a firing.

No top up firing required.

My Build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-22-2013, 09:27 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by oasiscdm View Post
Hey chipster

That's amazing cooking 8 days after a firing.

No top up firing required.
Not sure i can find anything that will cook at 108F but I guess I could be dehydrating something.

I could be doing some smoking, I guess, but it would need to be something safe like cheese or nuts, I do not think I would want meat in at that temp.
Old 09-22-2013, 09:30 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthymutt View Post
Wow, 8 days ! Amazing!

Can you tell me how hot the floor bricks should be getting optimally ?

Well thus far I have made a rudimentary door cut from a leftover sheet of calcium silicate board. And I left a gap at the bottom for a little air flow. The gap is an inch high/ten wide. The door to sheets thick, so less than an inch. I'm going to remake the door, double thick plus a wooden outer skin. With a thermometer. But what of the gap, necessary ?

Bob
My floor typicaly is about 20- 50 degrees F cooler than my dome after I equalize it.

Insulated door on, coals raked out, wait at least 1 hour to equalize.

I do not have any gap for my insulated door it fits tight. When I am burning I put some brick shims under the door for air and have it placed at the decorative arch. See photo
Attached Thumbnails
What is wrong??-image.jpg  

Last edited by mrchipster; 09-22-2013 at 09:35 AM.
Old 09-22-2013, 06:24 PM
Apprentice

Ok well ignorance is hitting me square in the face once again, guess its time for another reading break.

Chip, your door is on the outside of your outer arch? So your vent is behind the door?

And you close your door with the fire blazing? Even with a gap, the fire still gets enough air?
I've been leaving my door open the whole time I'm firing and cooking. Should I be closing it?

Equalizing ? Why? How? I've just let my fire burn down to coals and never touch it.

Always ready for pizza

Old 09-22-2013, 09:28 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthymutt View Post
Ok well ignorance is hitting me square in the face once again, guess its time for another reading break.

Chip, your door is on the outside of your outer arch? So your vent is behind the door?
Yes, I use my insulated door at the decorative arch, raised up about .75 inches and it acts as a blast door because most of the combustion air enters the oven under the door.
Quote:
And you close your door with the fire blazing? Even with a gap, the fire still gets enough air?
If I have a very large fire it will begin to huff and chug, then it is time to take the door off because there tends to be smoke created when it is huffing.

Once I begin to cook pizza or other high temp items the door comes off.

Quote:
I've been leaving my door open the whole time I'm firing and cooking. Should I be closing it?
Your choice, I think I get my oven hot with less wood this way but it is not scientific just a feeling.

Quote:
Equalizing ? Why? How? I've just let my fire burn down to coals and never touch it.c
To bake bread or other items without a live fire. I put my insulated door on as soon as i am done cooking with a live fire, i rake out my coals the next day. equalizing is Not an issue when cooking with a live fire

Last edited by mrchipster; 09-22-2013 at 09:30 PM.
Old 09-22-2013, 10:27 PM
Apprentice

Thanks, for that info. the learning process continues

Always ready for pizza