Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Oven Management > Firing Your Oven

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2012, 12:34 AM
Master Builder

Default Re: WARNING: about using Burner with Propane to Cure

Whilst on the topic of gas.... anyone here ever made charcoal?

If you have.ever used the method in a 44 gallon drum. That can bring about an interesting situation if you starve off the oxygen process wrong......woo hoooo baked wood can build up a decent amount of gas.!!!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-20-2012, 09:38 AM
Master Builder

You can even use that gas (commonly called wood gas) to power an internal combustion engine. It was done during times of severe gasoline shortage to power vehicles during WWII.

I fully expect in the future when oil runs out to see a resurgence of interest in using it. The technology is viable enough that in places where wood stuffs are plentiful and oil non-existant it is used to power electric generating plants. An example I have witnessed was in Bora Bora where they make electricity using gas driven off coconut husks.

Wiley
Old 07-20-2012, 04:52 PM
Journeyman

Pyrolysis gas from charcoal making is not the same as wood gas or syngas used to run engines. It is too heavy in tars that clog engines. Pyrolysis is part of the gasification process, but there is much more to it. Syngas is produced when the hot char produced by pyrolysis is then exposed to limited oxygen and steam producing hydrogen, cleaner burning hydrocarbons and ash.
Old 07-20-2012, 08:19 PM
Master Builder

I don't wish to argue, however, I would suggest that there is less to it than one might think.
Attached is a link to a FEMA pdf file on how to build one from fairly easily obtained parts.

http://www.soilandhealth.org/03sov/0...ma.woodgas.pdf

A good read for DIY sort of people.

Wiley
Old 07-21-2012, 06:52 AM
Journeyman

Yeah I wasn't very clear, lol. Gasified can still be very simple, it what's going on inside that can get complex. If you want to see how simple it can get look up designs for a charcoal cross flow gasified, makes the FEMA design look like the space shuttle. My last post was simply to explain the difference between pyrolysis gas and syngas. It is a common misconception that pyrolysis gas is syngas, but you would never want to run an engine on it.
Old 07-21-2012, 09:25 AM
Apprentice

I'm confused here. Isn't wood gas a synthesis gas that is produced through the pyrolysis of wood?
Old 07-21-2012, 03:20 PM
Journeyman

Nope. Complete pyrolysis will drive off all the volatile components and leave only carbon and some minerals. This is charcoal and the minerals are the ash that you find in the bottom of a charcoal grill. Because the gas contains all the volatiles the gas contains tons of tars. These tars would clog an engine in no time. A gasified comes after pyrolysis , you can gasify charcoal easier then you can wood. Wood gas, also called syngas or producer gas is produced by exposing char to limited oxygen, extreme heat and water. This reaction creates a clean burning flammable gas that is mainly hydrogen and carbon monoxide. That gas is wood gas, and can be burned in an engine.
Old 07-22-2012, 03:42 AM
Apprentice

Hmmmm, looks like I'd better brush up on that subject a bit.
Old 07-22-2012, 05:59 AM
Journeyman

When I get home and am at my computer I'll post a link to the most advanced gasifier developed during the war. This thing is incredible, building one is on my list of projects to eventually undertake.
Old 07-22-2012, 06:16 AM
Journeyman

Found it:

http://www.hotel.ymex.net/~s-20222/gengas/kg_eng.html

Really cool read.