Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Oven Management > Firing Your Oven

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2010, 03:04 PM
Apprentice

Default Re: URGENT. Is this enough wood for a pizza firing?

Jay, for the garlic, I just left it in the can with the oil, and if I heard it start to bubble I'd move it away from the heat. I saw some cooks on a Spanish beach with garlic in a pot like this and that gave me the idea.

I thought the smell might waft over all, but it didn't really, but was nice to nibble now and then. And the cloves, quite large, extremely soft and sweet. Damn, at one point I pulled a clove off the main stalk and it left behind the very centre of the clove on the main 'bit' of the bulb. Of course, that was the best part of all!

I did roast some garlic bulbs, of course, and a very similar experience was had. I'm a garlic fan, btw. I also love anchovies, and very surprised than some, if not all ,of our guests today did not partake.

Oh, and while it's in my mind, has anyone tried pasta vongole? It's spaghetti (fresh ones hopes) with those tiny clams, and salt and pepper.

Better go.

P de D
Old 06-26-2010, 04:15 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hi PdeD!

I am a garlic lover also. I try to always have roast garlic frozen for emergencies! I often "simmer" peeled cloves in oil also (makes not only great, creamy garlic but seriously great garlic oil for warding off vampires!).

I love pasta vognole! But I am a sucker for clams, garlic and almost anything else (and probably including cardboard but I haven't actually tried that!).

Good luck with the lamb! Look forward to seeing the results!
Jay
Old 06-27-2010, 12:07 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

PdeD,

What a great idea the garlic is! Thanks for sharing.

John
Old 06-28-2010, 09:37 AM
Apprentice

Jay, the lamb was fine.

The oven temp the next morning was around 170 or so, and I thought it would take longer than a couple of hours to cook, but it was medium done when I went back 2.5 hours later.

I have another thread about cooking lamb, so I'll ask my questions about that over there.

Tim
Old 06-28-2010, 09:57 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Glad it worked! By 170 I assume you mean degrees C. That would be plenty hot enough to cook it.

Bravo!
Jay
Old 06-28-2010, 10:21 AM
Apprentice

Hi Jay, I've updated the other thread about lamb roasting, but yes, it turns out my temps are in C, and yours are in F! I wish I'd remembered that.

So, this is why the meat was done in short time (2.5 hours) rather than the 5-6 as suggested by yourself and others in that other thread.

You live and learn.

Might see a response from you on the other thread.

Tim
Old 06-28-2010, 02:30 PM
Serf

That much wood will give me 2 or 3 firings, this week it is so hot here that we were up to temp in an hour ! Great idea for the garlic - they would have gone well with the chicken wings drowned in honey and sesame seeds we had - (30 mins ) I was amazed they were so quick.
Old 06-29-2010, 12:22 AM
Apprentice

Hi Muppety,

We had chicken thighs as well as pizza on Saturday, and they were done in 20 minutes. And I mean done, no sign of under cooking.
Old 07-04-2010, 12:34 PM
Apprentice

Just found one or two other photos of the garlic....