Old 01-05-2012, 01:54 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Trouble firing up my 42 inch Pompeii oven

"Has anyone tried coal;if so, where did you buy it?"

I use coal occasionally. Check with your local blacksmiths, they will have a line on coal supplies. They also use the right type of coal (hard low sulfur anthracite). The local blacksmiths here have a sort of co-op where they chip in to get a truckload from time to time and are happy to have more people contribute. If you have a local artifacts or agricultural society that fool around with steam engines, this may also be a contact.

When I use coal, I start the fire with wood and add the coal about halfway thru the burn.

As to it taking 6 hours to get up to temperature, assuming it is cured, one cause may be that your fire is too small. I have a 40 inch and mine reaches temperature in about 90 min. I usually put in a small fire for the first 30 min then load it up all at once with about a cubic foot of well seasoned wood = a large armful, almost filling the oven right up. I don't add anymore wood after that.

You want a "plasma god" hot fire.

"Can I only build one fire a day?"

Normally only one fire a day is used. The oven is brought up to the 1000 F level to cook pizza. After the oven cools down, other thing can be cooked, often into the next day.

Last edited by Neil2; 01-05-2012 at 02:05 PM.
Old 01-05-2012, 02:57 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Trouble firing up my 42 inch Pompeii oven

Susan, if you are asking about the interval between fires during curing and using Fornobravo.com's recommended protocol, you can light a fire early in the morning and another as soon as the oven cools. James' explanation about this gives an actual temperature that I don't remember, but its close to 100-120 F, if memory serves.

This video shows how to light a fire and gives you a visual data point on how big a fire you need to heat the oven after it is cured. Remember, the cooling cycle between fires is going to take longer with each fire. HTH.

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Our One Meter Pompeii Oven album is
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

An album showing our Thermal Breaks is

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Last edited by Lburou; 01-05-2012 at 03:01 PM.
Old 01-06-2012, 01:32 PM
Serf

Wow. Thank you. After watching that I realize I've not been making the fires near big enough.
Old 01-07-2012, 08:59 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil2 View Post
You want a "plasma god" hot fire.
BINGO! That's a good description.

Updated!