Old 05-27-2013, 09:30 PM
Master Builder

Default Re: Tree Roots for firewood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf View Post
V-Wiz,
Try some of it for smoking first. If it is what I think it would be, that would be a shame to waist it on heat. If not, just burn it..........in the oven.
Ill give it a try as i know green wood smokes well in a hot fire, i just wasn't sure if the roots would be a good candidate. Thanks man
Old 05-27-2013, 09:33 PM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvfox View Post
V-Wiz,
Please try Gulf's suggestion and try the mulberry for smoking and report back. My quess is that it will be milder and sweeter than oak or hickory but stronger than apple or some of the other fruit woods. You'll get plenty of smoke even from dry wood if your fire is not too hot. Keep the oven door ajar slighty. 225 F is a good target temp. for most smoking.
Around here mulberries are a nuisance. Biirds love to use them for very effective and stainig bombing fadder and they they love to sprout against house foundations.

Thanks Fox, im very familiar with smoking meat so this should be another nice smoke. Ive smoked Mulberry before, its very similar to Peach, sweet and spicy, its strange how i can smell all that but i really can. Peach is one of my favorite smoking woods so the mulberry should be the next good wood. Its very different from Oak, apple and cherry. I will try it out and report back. Thanks guys.
Old 05-28-2013, 09:43 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

V-Wiz,

Last month I cut down a jacaranda tree that had grown too close to the house and ended up keeping all but the smallest diameter roots. They appear to be very dense and looked too good to discard.

Also, I came across a tool at Harbor Freight that might work well cutting up the stubborn trunk/branch junction portions of the tree.

John
Attached Thumbnails
Tree Roots for firewood-chopped-wood.jpg   Tree Roots for firewood-chopper.jpg  
Old 05-28-2013, 11:33 AM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by GianniFocaccia View Post
V-Wiz,

Last month I cut down a jacaranda tree that had grown too close to the house and ended up keeping all but the smallest diameter roots. They appear to be very dense and looked too good to discard.

Also, I came across a tool at Harbor Freight that might work well cutting up the stubborn trunk/branch junction portions of the tree.

John

Thanks John, thats a nice pile there,

That looks like a great tool, basically a chainsaw on a grinder right. That will help cutting wood yes. Does it work well?
Old 05-28-2013, 11:18 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Tree Roots for firewood

V-Wiz,

Quote:
i know green wood smokes well in a hot fire
I posted as to how very green, cut down only minutes earlier burns fiercely and might I also mention NO SMOKE at all in a hot fire.
A friend of ours had a 120 acre fruit orchard and also had ferule walnut trees growing within it, so he wheeled down a truck tyre, a hand full of kindling wood and a few sheets of newspaper together with his chainsaw. He laid the tyre down and started a fire with in it, inside the walls, well it was only minutes before plumes of thick acrid tyre smoke was made, he started the saw and cut down several trees with trunks around 4-6" diameter. I then had to lay these over the burning tyre and within 5 minutes and around 10 trees you couldn't get nearer than 10-15 feet from a roaring fire with absolutely NO SMOKE what so ever. A lesson that I have used on so many occasions.
Try burning old sump oil and it produces huge clouds of smoke, but put it through a jet under pressure and hit it with a large blast of air and you have a very efficient heat source, our electricity station in Adelaide, gas several huge tanks of old sump oil that they burn not only to get rid of it but to fire their boilers for steam should there be a break in the natural gas supply. This doesn't produce smoke as the public let alone the EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) would crucify them.
However the fire must be hot!, not like as per a campfire.

Neill

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neillís Pompeiii #1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Neillís kitchen underway

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-29-2013, 01:33 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
That looks like a great tool, basically a chainsaw on a grinder right. That will help cutting wood yes. Does it work well?
I didn't buy the tool yet, but yes, it appears to be just that: a chainsaw on a grinder!
Old 05-29-2013, 05:23 AM
Laborer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GianniFocaccia View Post
I didn't buy the tool yet, but yes, it appears to be just that: a chainsaw on a grinder!
That thing looks pretty dangerous to me.
Old 05-29-2013, 06:12 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo View Post
That would make a. Nasty mark if it caught and kicked. I would not feel safe with something like that on the end of a grinder without wearing an iron suit.

Chip
Attached Thumbnails
Tree Roots for firewood-image.jpg  
Old 05-29-2013, 07:21 AM
Master Builder

Neill thanks for the info, i had forgotten that a WFO hot is not the same as a smoker hot, lol, smoking with green wood is doable, but i guess its a good thing that green wood burns well in a hot fire/WFO.
Old 05-29-2013, 11:33 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo View Post
Ive had one for years, its the same as a chainsaw in that the chain is in a groove, if it digs in the chain stops and the disc just spins.
If you can use a chain saw you can use one of those.