Old 08-08-2010, 05:48 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Tips for Minimizing Smoke

1. Well seasoned firewood split down to a small size; 3-4 inches across at the end.

2. Start your fire near the entrance. Start with a small fire for 30 to 45 min . Then push back to the centre and load up the wood for the main burn. Load the wood "tee-pee" style.
Old 09-26-2010, 08:34 AM
Serf

Our neighbor has a wood fired oven that smokes all day. It fills our house and I would imagine our neighbors too. We have told him how bad it is with no real solution coming from him. He did offer pizza, not really a big consolation when we're so stuffed up from the smoke we're miserable. Any suggestions before we call the fire department next time?
Old 09-27-2010, 10:17 AM
Peasant

I have wound up with using a loose log cabin of 1 to 1.5" diameter split pieces of wood and lighting from underneath. I saw how well this worked first hand when I did a short stint working with Pizza Moto (Brooklyn based portable pizza oven business, killer pizza). It is incredible how fast you can get a raging and very efficiently burning fire using this technique with good dry hardwood. Very very little smoke. Less smoke than the top down technique IME. The loose configuration allows for a lot of air to get in there and create a strong fire fast.

I can't give you advice on how to approach your neighbor but maybe you can point him to this thread?
Old 09-27-2010, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Our neighbor has a wood fired oven that smokes all day.
S/he's doing something wrong. There should be a blast of smoke on start-up, but once the oven's up to temperature there shouldn't be any visible smoke at all. I suspect they are using too large/too wet wood. The pizza's probably not very good either, at smoke producing temperatures.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-27-2010, 05:27 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

"I am pretty sure it would eventually become a problem with my neighbors"

Lots of good tips. Talking to your neighbors about what you are doing, the fact that it will only smoke for a short period etc may head off a lot of problems. It only takes one crank to create a headache.
Old 09-27-2010, 05:40 PM
Master Builder

Perhaps they could be using the wfo to produce charcoal. That can produce smoldering smoke for many hours. That's just my guess.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO
Old 09-28-2010, 08:58 AM
Peasant

I also have not heard of the top down method for fire starting. Can someone explain a step by step process for this, and the reason why?

I like bark, but it has to be separated from the wood. Douglas Fir bark has more BTU than the actual wood. Bark attached to the wood prevents drying.
Old 09-28-2010, 10:59 AM

Quote:
I also have not heard of the top down method for fire starting. Can someone explain a step by step process for this, and the reason why?
Here's the FB citations for top-down:

Google

There's even a video:

Old 10-02-2010, 09:34 AM
Peasant

The best way for less smoke is start small and go big. I have been doing the start big for a while then the fire department came by and said there was to much smoke. So now I have to start small now. It takes the same time to heat up, you just have to keep your timing right. You will get more experience with each fire and you will know when to add wood and when not to. I always wait till the wood gets ashy and the flame is small then I'll throw in 4,5 pieces and wait again till ashy. It usually takes about 10 minutes for the pieces to burn down and takes me about 2 hours to get to a constant 920F-930F. The key is splitting the wood you are using to get up to temp is split thin, no more than your wrist. This helps will getting nice even coals and it also helps with having even temps. When I started small and went big there was barley any smoke to be seen. The only time there was smoke was when I would add the wood and it would go away in the first 3-4 minutes. Hope this helps.
Old 12-16-2010, 03:03 PM
Master Builder

The top down method rocks! Very little smoke at start up, even with green wood. I'm sold.

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO