Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Oven Management > Firing Your Oven

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2013, 06:18 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Steady good heat without the large flames. How?

If the outside render doesn't crack, you did something wrong.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:23 AM
Master Builder

600 F cure firing

and the cracks thus far.

Old 04-22-2013, 03:38 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Started curing mine today.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Current WFO build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 04-22-2013, 11:10 PM
Master Builder

My next firing will be 700F, is 800F the finishing cure fire? or is that considered the "Scary" fire?

WHen you guys make a fire for pizza, you build a huge fire in the center, then when they are down to coals you spread them to the side right, now because you have this huge/scary fire in the center, doesn't this heat up the top of the dome quicker and much more hotter than the rest of the dome, if so doesn't this mean that it could cause the dome to crack because one area heats up alot quicker than the other areas? am i understanding this correctly?
Old 04-22-2013, 11:11 PM
Master Builder

Also do the cracks look normal for a 600F firing? i also have hair line cracks on the inside wall. Is this normal? i know its okay but is it normal? i guess it is as the oven expands from the great deal of heat? Thanks
Old 04-23-2013, 02:27 PM
Master Builder

Anyone? i will be firing it up tonight, the advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 04-23-2013, 02:47 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

V-wiz,
For Pizza I like a 725 to 750F deck and my pizzas take a couple of minutes. When I'm cooking pizza I keep a good fire running, not large, not small and when the fire burns down I add a log. I like to saturate the oven so I burn for 2 - 3 hours but could cook pizza at 1.5 hours. Once I'm done with the pizza I put a couple of sticks on the fire to push a bit more heat into the bricks and then shut the door. Cracks are normal and as long as they're not structural, you're OK. Yours look fine at the stage you're at.

Chris

PS.. I often raise the almost done pizza up in the dome to finish the pizza cooking.
Old 04-23-2013, 05:25 PM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCChris View Post
V-wiz,
For Pizza I like a 725 to 750F deck and my pizzas take a couple of minutes. When I'm cooking pizza I keep a good fire running, not large, not small and when the fire burns down I add a log. I like to saturate the oven so I burn for 2 - 3 hours but could cook pizza at 1.5 hours. Once I'm done with the pizza I put a couple of sticks on the fire to push a bit more heat into the bricks and then shut the door. Cracks are normal and as long as they're not structural, you're OK. Yours look fine at the stage you're at.

Chris

PS.. I often raise the almost done pizza up in the dome to finish the pizza cooking.

Thanks Chris, i appreciate your feed back, however that doesn't answer my question, i was referring to when you guys heat up the oven and the fire/flames are centralized in the center.
Old 04-23-2013, 06:08 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I start 2-3 hours ahead of pizza and unless I make a mess or the deck gets too cool, my fire stays around the exterior wall. I start the fire on either the left or right and move the burn to the other side. When I say move the fire I really just add wood to the side that I'm moving toward..

Does this help?

Chris
Old 04-23-2013, 06:12 PM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCChris View Post
I start 2-3 hours ahead of pizza and unless I make a mess or the deck gets too cool, my fire stays around the exterior wall. I start the fire on either the left or right and move the burn to the other side. When I say move the fire I really just add wood to the side that I'm moving toward..

Does this help?

Chris

So you dont start your fire in the center? contrary to how other start the fire?

Thanks Chris.