Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Oven Management > Firing Your Oven

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2013, 05:55 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Starting your fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenman View Post
Very pretty. I would put it in the category of 'another thing to go bust'. The 'must have' accessory for your primitive oven.

Getting the oven fired up is the easy bit. Plenty of twigs increasing in size as the pile builds and the well dried smallish wood on top. My cheat is one small bit of a 'Natural, non-toxic' firestarter that is 55% wax and 45% wood fibre in the middle of the heap.
I haven't tried that. My cheat is to use about 3 crumpled paper towels inside the heap .

But the Looftlighter want be a "total failure" even, if the element does burn out. That looks like a stainless steel silencer on the business end of the tool. It could be dismantled, stuffed with smoking chips, and used to add some great! flavor to the oven .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Gulf; 12-30-2013 at 06:17 PM.
Old 12-30-2013, 10:30 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenman View Post
Very pretty. I would put it in the category of 'another thing to go bust'. The 'must have' accessory for your primitive oven.

Getting the oven fired up is the easy bit. Plenty of twigs increasing in size as the pile builds and the well dried smallish wood on top. My cheat is one small bit of a 'Natural, non-toxic' firestarter that is 55% wax and 45% wood fibre in the middle of the heap.
If you want to cheat and make it look pretty at the same time take pine cones and dip them in a parifin wax bath for about 30 seconds. Let them drip off and place on parchment paper or tin foil. They make great cheaters, my dad - now 83 used them all the time to start his wood burner, he had a basket full of the cones ready for the next fire in a decorative basket.

I still use a single match and some news print.

Last edited by mrchipster; 12-30-2013 at 10:33 PM.
Old 12-31-2013, 03:45 AM
Master Builder

What a great idea. There are plenty of pine cones around here. Another little project. Thanks.

Build Thread

Build Pics

Forno Food Pics
Old 12-31-2013, 06:34 AM
Peasant

Not sure where this question should go but I saw it on here that people get their stoves too hot sometimes... What is the best way to cool it if you had very little time?
Old 12-31-2013, 06:49 AM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose4Life View Post
Not sure where this question should go but I saw it on here that people get their stoves too hot sometimes... What is the best way to cool it if you had very little time?
Happened to my rookie self last week. I shoveled one of the logs out and a few coals. Then I took a wet towel and swabbed the floor a few times. I'll be interested in other replies from more experienced WOOFer's but this worked for me. Took 15-20 minutes to get back to a 750 floor.

Avoid at all costs that vile spew you see rotting in oil in screwtop jars. Too lazy to peel fresh? You don't deserve to eat garlic." Bourdain
Old 10-29-2014, 02:41 PM
Serf

got it down to a science
start with a small pc of pine or kindling
menards sells Fatwood sticks, a natural sticky wood for fire starting
lay two or three on kindling
put med size logs on either side
then crisscross stack three layers
light with small torch
Foolproof!