Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Oven Management > Firing Your Oven

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2007, 08:15 PM
Serf

Default Re: Starting your fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmanley View Post
I have a very low tech and non accellerant fuel method to start any fire that I build, and I teach the method to all customers that I build masonry heaters and bakeovens for, and anyone that will listen.

We call it the Top down burn, and it is the cleanest burning (as in no clouds of smoke) method to get your appliance's firebox up to speed. Fire start up is typically the dirtiest part of a burn, untill it gets up to speed.
I'm sold! Only recently had a chance to try this - It was the least smokey fire I have ever seen. And it is logical, when you think about it. The pre-ignition smoke is below the fire proper, and gets burned as it rises.

Thank you jp!
Old 01-05-2008, 04:03 AM
Journeyman

Brother Robert.
Eucalyptus (gum trees), RS?
Mate,here in Heaven, river red and spotted gums are but two of many eucalypts used not only as fuel but also for smoking. Hickory is OK at a pinch....
Just kidding. Hickory is ok.
So send me the species of Eucalyptus you've been lumbered with, and I'll try to ascertain the root of the problem.
We have had two unpleasant fire experiences recently. Neither involved eucalypts, but both were disastrous. (And they were camp fires, not oven fires!!
Jeff.
Old 01-05-2008, 04:03 AM
Journeyman

Brother Robert.
Mate,here in Heaven, river red and spotted gums are but two of many eucalypts used not only as fuel but also for smoking. Hickory is OK at a pinch....
So send me the species of Eucalyptus you've been lumbered with, and I'll try to ascertain the root of the problem.
We have had two unpleasant fire experiences recently. Neither involved eucalypts, but both were disastrous. (And they were camp fires, not oven fires!!
Jeff.
Old 01-05-2008, 04:06 AM
Journeyman

Brother Robert.
Jeff.
Old 02-20-2008, 03:18 AM
Laborer

What about someone posts a picture of the stack for the top down burn?
Before they light it and some progressive shots as it ignites?

Please?
Old 03-01-2008, 06:09 AM
Master Builder

I think I will be firing today...plan on trying the top down burn and I will try to post some pics
Dutch
Old 03-01-2008, 06:45 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

There's an illustration of a top down burn setup at the bottom of page 3 of this document, called the Council Campfire Fire Lay. The Boy Scouts renamed a very old world method of fire building.

http://www.mbcenter.org/pub/pdf/notes_firebuilding.pdf

-
Old 03-29-2008, 04:15 AM
Serf

I just came across this great plug for the top down burn.

Top down

Pat
Old 03-29-2008, 06:16 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thanks for the top down info. Must try it. I find a little garden flare oil is helpful for starting as is a length of copper pipe that you can blow a blast of air exactly where you want. Also use it to blow the ash away from your cooking area.
Old 03-29-2008, 11:21 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjbingham View Post
There's an illustration of a top down burn setup at the bottom of page 3 of this document, called the Council Campfire Fire Lay. The Boy Scouts renamed a very old world method of fire building.

http://www.mbcenter.org/pub/pdf/notes_firebuilding.pdf
Not a bad document George...interesting it's from the Phillipines

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Tiempo para guzarlos.....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
...enjoy every sandwich!