Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Oven Management > Firing Your Oven

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2007, 09:56 AM
Journeyman

Default Re: Starting your fire

Me? ..Sticking with the weed burner. I've got 2500 pounds of mass to heat. Sticks ain't gonna cut it if I want to eat on the same calendar day.
What's really nice about this is that a man can tip out to the oven on a skin numbing, cold morning and set the torch to low and after some coffee and prepping in the kitchen, I can return and get the blaze a goin' in earnest. No thermal shock. My 2¢.
Old 11-29-2007, 11:22 AM
Apprentice

Pair of long johns, wool stocking cap, hot cup of coffee, and the smell of burning wood... makes any morning a good morning.
Never calculated the total weight of my bread oven but I've got 1,750 lbs just in fire brick, couple more pounds in the 4" thick concrete cladding, few more pounds in the 4" thick vermiculite hearth slab and a couple more in the 4" thick concrete hearth slab...I'm cooking in less than 2hrs.
Old 11-29-2007, 10:33 PM
Journeyman

Default Starting your fire

For starting fires and barbeques we in Turkey use Cirra. It is heartwood from a pine tree and has a high resin concetration. It bursts into flame with little persuasion and readily lights larger kindling reducing the time taken to get to cooking temps. Dont think it would work with the top down burn but if I put it in a couple of rows from the top it may work. Must give it a try.

Last edited by Inishta; 11-29-2007 at 10:34 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 12-09-2007, 02:20 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Is there any reason against using nut shells as kindling? Peanuts and walnuts?
Old 12-09-2007, 07:04 AM
Apprentice

I was using newspaper and sticks (kindling) but I found these babies at Home Depot for $3.00 a box. They are awesome! You can put them under a pile of split logs and within two or three minutes, the logs are burning! I use two under the pile but I'm sure you could get away with using only one towards the middle of the log stack. I use one of those candle lighters to get under the stack to light them. (see photo)
Rick
Attached Thumbnails
Starting your fire-img_1094-forget-newspaper-i-got-these  
Old 12-09-2007, 07:36 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I grabbed a box of "Fatwood" sticks at Walmart the other day. They work great. It only takes on or two sticks to start a roaring fire.

Fatwood is simply dried out pine that contains a high concentration of resin. When they burn, they have a nice pine smell that reminds me of Christmas.

Fatwood - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Updated!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 12-09-2007, 03:30 PM
Apprentice

Anyone try the drier lent yet?
works good.
fb66
Old 12-09-2007, 03:48 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Anyone try the drier lent yet?
Alright... I'm up for it. My oven is already damaged goods so I'll give the lint a whirl .

It'll be a few days before I try another fire. That will give me some time to collect a few handfuls (with 6 in the house, I should be able to collect quite a bit!)

Updated!

Old 12-09-2007, 03:50 PM
Apprentice

Ken,
Why do you say your oven is damaged goods?
fb66
Old 12-09-2007, 03:57 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullback66 View Post
Why do you say your oven is damaged goods?
Just joking. I'm in the middle of repairing a cracked/separating entry arch. I'll restart curing fires in a couple of days to see if it'll hold.

Updated!