Old 09-08-2012, 07:43 AM
Serf

Default Re: South Florida Firewood

Thanks, If you're in MS, you have a rain and humidity issue too. The wood I got was from trees that I was told had been cut down over a year ago, but the seller did not split it until I requested it. YEA, I was able to request very small splits, but BOO, it is still too wet. A couple of weeks ago, kindling from the splits would not even burn. Today, that was dry enough but the larger pieces-1-2" diameter just won't catch well enough to keep burning. Got a fire going for about an hour but could use only kindling sized pieces and shavings. I'm going to have to go on a hunt for dryer-REALLY seasoned wood until this dries. Just wondering if it's realistic to try to season wood outdoors, in a climate that averages 70%-99.9% humidity.
Old 09-08-2012, 11:45 AM
Master Builder

The wood will season probably better outside than in, if split and even better if de-barked. It needs to be stacked to get the optimal air flow to dry it and prevent mold and mildew and insect infestation. Properly seasoned wood takes about a year. Green wood is for future use.
Old 09-09-2012, 01:30 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday
I live in Sub Tropical Brisbane Australia the humitity is a problem it takes time to season wood and I have got to the point were I have to much wood waiting to dry and have to refuse any more till this lots dry and burn't.
Never thought I would refuse free wood but I just have too much wet wood.
Did refuse some dry seasoned wood a little while ago ...it was the flooring from an old horse float .... could you just imagine the smell when that was burn't... it would certainly keep the mozzies away

Regards Dave

My Build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Door

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-09-2012, 02:13 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

So what is Aussie Pine?

Old 09-10-2012, 05:16 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Here's what I found that some Floridians think about them.
Invasive species.
Austrailian Pine

If they are a cheap (free) source of WFO fuel, the FB forum might be able to help .

Old 09-10-2012, 01:34 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Man I wish I had so many "weed" casuarinas that needed thining, Id never be short of fierce burning firewood for the oven.

Old 09-12-2012, 12:33 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Mulga is far too expensive and decorative to burn, it brings big bucks from woodworkers.