Old 09-29-2011, 08:09 PM
Serf

Default Re: Smoke or steam during curing?

One last one...
Attached Thumbnails
Smoke or steam during curing?-photo.jpg  
Old 09-29-2011, 08:26 PM
Serf

I know these are out of order but I thought maybe it would be helpful to see the dome construction in more detail....
Attached Thumbnails
Old 09-29-2011, 08:31 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Mike,

I assume you are going to cover this with a blanket. It doesn't matter if it is steam or smoke. You are doing an enclosure so you are safe to keep building (it won't be air tight). Keep the fire going to purge any vapor - no worries.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 09-30-2011, 01:55 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I agree with David S. If you are getting a large amount of steam, slow off a bit with your curing fires. Use a smaller fire for a longer time. You have to be patient, there is no need to rush this stage and there is a real danger of damaging your oven if you heat it too hot and fast while there is a lot of water in the brick.

Many have assisted the curing by keeping a small electric fan/heater at low heat in the oven between curing fires.

Last edited by Neil2; 09-30-2011 at 02:00 PM.
Old 09-30-2011, 07:12 PM
Serf

Thanks to all, I will keep you posted. It is great to have some help to lean on. Mike
Old 10-05-2011, 11:23 AM
Serf

Ok, so I have been patiently trying to put my oven through the curing process. I took things slowly since I noticed a small amount of steam coming from the dome during my early fires. I went ahead a put a heater in the dome overnight and used charcoal to keep the oven around 200 degrees for several day. Things have been going well so far with no cracks. Today the goal was 700 degrees and things got out of hand and reached 800. I have a small hairline crack in the inside of the dome. Outside it looks much bigger. I have read some people patch the crack with more mortar and others say "drink more beer and it will go away" To patch or not to patch???? BTW, I am building an enclosure around the dome. Thanks, Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Old 10-05-2011, 07:04 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

If you have some mortar on had then go ahead and patch it. Hairline crack are typical and can be ignored.
Old 10-06-2011, 02:40 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

One of the problems during curing is that the top of the dome dries out first and then of course gets even hotter while the base of the dome and floor are still damp and therefore much cooler. This creates a massive difference in temperature which results in a big difference in thermal expansion and resulting damage. Once the oven is completely dry the thing heats up more evenly, but the damage may have already been done. Keeping a gentle fire (charcoal) going for longer helps keep down the high temp rise in the top of the dome. Also it may be beneficial to leave the oven for a week between curing fires to let some of the moisture lower down migrate back up into the drier dome.
Old 10-06-2011, 12:21 PM
Serf

I will slow down my curing process as recommended. Do any of you think I need to repair this or is it ok to leave it alone? THanks, Mike