Old 11-09-2009, 07:22 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Quick Curing Question

I don't know if you have access to 1" insulating board, IB, and the 1" thick firebrick, but the beauty would be that you only raise the floor 2" inches and likley get the insulation that you need. I know that here, SoCal, I could have foundry service supply any size IB as long as it's 4' X 8' or less and 2.5" thick or less. Anyway best of luck.

Chris
Old 11-14-2009, 05:41 PM
Serf

Chris thanks,

I think I'd be buying the FB IB that they sell on the site. Not sure where I'd get the 1" firebrick. I have to look at the Pompeii plans to see if there is a concrete layer over the insulation but under the brick.

I cooked yesterday and really struggled to get the oven to temp. I know it's colder now than the summer, but if properly insulated I wouldn't think i'd have this much trouble.

That said, my pizza was spectacular. Problem is that I don't retain enough heat from day to day to make it cost efficient...
Old 11-15-2009, 07:37 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I'd be really surprised if you couldn't find the 1" firebrick at anywhere that you'll find the standard dimension firebrick. Also fire off a quick message to James and see if he can refer a place that has 1" IB in the bay area. It's there, I'm sure of it..

Chris
Old 11-15-2009, 10:04 AM

I'm not convinced that one inch firebrick will give you enough thermal mass on the floor to get the results you want. You should be able to get them anywhere that sells firebrick. Call around to brickyards and ask for "firebrick splits" which is the term of art. Around here they cost the same as full sized firebrick, so there's no price advantage.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.