Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Oven Management > Firing Your Oven

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2014, 11:32 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Pompeii oven heating time

A large percentage of builders here (like me) had no prior masonry experience but just jumped in after reading through the FB oven plans and the newbie's survey list Mike referenced above. The advantage of building it yourself means you control every aspect of its design and ultimately, its performance.

Since you are chef-trained, it might be worth looking at building an oven that can cook more than the 90sec pizza.

Last edited by GianniFocaccia; 03-30-2014 at 11:34 AM.
Old 03-31-2014, 07:34 AM
Journeyman

If I want to cook 1-3 pizzas for my family I can get my small Pompeii (32 inches) to temperature in 75 minutes. Not exaggerating - this is how long it takes to clear my dome and get great pizzas. The only problem is that my oven is not saturated (with heat) after 75 minutes. That takes longer. Last year I had a pizza party and cooked about 50 pizzas - but I heated the oven for about 4 hours prior to starting and it held up well.
david s and cobblerdave like this.
Old 03-31-2014, 01:37 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

As a rough guide it takes about one hour per inch of wall thickness to get hot enough to cook pizzas.
Old 03-31-2014, 02:29 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by david s View Post
As a rough guide it takes about one hour per inch of wall thickness to get hot enough to cook pizzas.
I'm not sure whose rough guide that is, but it is not any that I would use. Most ovens on this forum (including mine) are 4.5" thick at the wall. Applying that measure it would take 4.5 hours to heat a standard Pompeii. I can easily saturate my oven in 1/3 that amount of time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 03-31-2014, 05:33 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday
Depends on what you want. 1 and 1/2 hours will give you an oven that will produce 6 pizza easy. If I wanted to do the commercial thing and produce pizza continuously with a live flame to replenish the heat loss , I would do the four hour burn.
In saying that I'm more Likely to do 6 pizza at most and if I need the oven in the days after a small burn to bring it up to what I need.
Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Old 05-15-2014, 10:48 AM
Laborer

The pompeii oven plans 2.0 claims 1 hour to 700F saturated walls, is that not the case then?
Heating time is a major advertised feature compared to other models.
Old 05-15-2014, 01:15 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

G'day
The plans are a little bit old and have some mistakes. The ovens that forno sell are a lot thinner that the ovens that the home builder makes. 4 1/2 ins of brick then a more than generous sparging layer ( just in case a little is good a lot is better) there must be ovens out there that would get to 5 or 6 ins thick...easy
Mine is for sure ! ...... Twice the thickness requires a bit more wood
Still the plans are free the advice is free .... And if I wanted a pre build oven I'd buy a forno
Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Old 05-15-2014, 01:56 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by david s View Post
To qualify this statement it takes the heat around an hour/inch to travel through the refractory because brick or castable refractory is not particularly conductive like steel which heats through way faster.As others have stated after around one hour the dome inside the oven goes white and you can cook a few pizzas ok. I often do this as my wife and I are now rattling around a big house with all our kids gone. If I want to cook a larger number of pizzas then I keep the oven firing for longer because the refractory has not been heated through (saturated) This has been confirmed by other oven owners who have thermocouples set at different points at different depths in their refractory.