Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Oven Management > Firing Your Oven

View Poll Results: Did your oven crack?
Oven was the oven built on the hearth, it cracked? 1 50.00%
Oven was the oven built on the insulation, with the hearth cut inside, it cracked? 1 50.00%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2013, 03:11 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Question Re: The poll to divide a pizza community.

Gudday
I built on a ply form brick on brick, mortar in the back of each brick .No bricks cracked no mortar to show cracks in the dome. Hairline crack between dome and entrance brickwork larger crack between rear of brick chimney and render.
All soldier present and accounted for including the two drunk bastards in the back right hand corner( I might have had somthing to do with that.
Do I pass or do I have to wait 2000yrs for the next inspection?

Regards dave

My Build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Door

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:22 PM
Serf

Default Re: The poll to divide a pizza community.

You might have called this The Cracked Oven Poll. The accuracy in cutting bricks may have the second greatest effect on whether an oven cracks. It is just my opinion but settling of foundations & uneven curing may be the main culprits. I was guilty of some sloppy brick-cutting but had a fantastically stable and level foundation that did not settle, as well as hot, dry conditions during construction and curing. No cracks in the dome or arch but noticed hairline cracks where the render covers the arch - I think there was some movement during the firings, sometime in the past year. I used my oven 187 times between 03/2012 and 03/2013. I did not repair these hairline cracks( just resealed w/ acrylic sealer) but I may eventually have to cut the render off and make a real repair.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:38 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Where is the option of "no, my oven didn't crack"? Not that I can see anyway...

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:15 AM
Master Builder

I was going to have a "crack" at this poll but I moved house before my last oven cracked..

....then again that oven was "violated" rather than cracked.......and so would you if you sat on a hot bed of sand and concrete

Finding it hard to be serious with this one.....