Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Oven Management > Firing Your Oven

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2013, 01:53 PM
Peasant

Default Re: Oven Curing

Anyone on this thread point me to a simple way of making the door for the dome? Thanks
Old 12-27-2013, 03:14 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Try starting here.
http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/s...tml#post157363 (Show us your Door Thread)
Old 01-09-2014, 04:05 PM
Peasant

Thanks. Also is there any merit to cutting away the excess vercrete that goes out past my dome?
Old 01-09-2014, 04:48 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Yes, probably. Just remember that the vermicrete acts like a wick, so unless sealed it will suck water into itself.
Old 01-10-2014, 08:12 AM
Peasant

Will do that. Thanks. Not the seal part , suppose it's not nec after I cut the excess
Old 01-18-2014, 04:18 PM
Peasant

Oven is almost enclosed! Fired it to 700 all day while I worked on the brick surrounding wall , kept me warm in 38 degree wet windy weather... But the crack I fixed, which was a hairline crack came right back. I had grinded out the crack and put home brew back into it. Went the entirewayaround the dome where there was a row of bricks. I really want to seal the thing up so should I leave the crack? Or should I seal it this time with this fireplace high heat mortar, then insulate and cover? I'll post a pic from yesterday but I finished an entire side today. Thanks!

Like I said, the crack is hairline. And there are a few of them...normal?

Last edited by Moose4Life; 01-18-2014 at 04:21 PM.
Old 01-19-2014, 01:38 AM
Master Builder

Gravity, that's the problem. Get this little sucker up the right way and gravity will hold it together.

If only the whole world was so simple to fix.

Sorry about that, couldn't help myself.

I have some hairline cracks visible inside the oven and I reckon that they will be there for a very long time. Once the oven settles I don't think hairline cracks are an issue and I have been cooking in mine for 7 months now. Once it is done it is done and unless you are looking at a fatal structural flaw the rest end up being like the furrows on your brow - character lines.

Just found out today what IMHO means - Is My Hearing-aid On
cobblerdave likes this.

Build Thread
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Build Pics
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Forno Food Pics
Old 01-19-2014, 07:24 AM
Peasant

thanks, when i postd it on my ipad it was right side up! Going to fill the one crack and then seal the baby up!
Old 04-02-2014, 04:18 PM
Apprentice

Hey guys, will be starting my oven cure in 4 days time after having finished my concrete dome render.

I am just wondering if my curing process could be altered given that my oven is a 2nd hand modular kit where no mortar was used on the dome.
This means that the dome is already completely dry and so I will only be curing the outer concrete with which the heat has to get through the oven and 3" of insulation blanket first.
Old 04-02-2014, 07:01 PM
Master Builder

I doubt that you will get enough heat on the outer mortar to make much difference to it. It would pay not to seal it until it has time to cure/dry completely. If the dome has been pre-loved then you should only need to drive out any moisture that has accumulated during the recent wet weather.

A waterproof cover over the dome while you are firing it will show you if you are pushing moisture out.

You must nearly be able to taste that pizza at this stage of the project.

Build Thread

Build Pics

Forno Food Pics