Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Oven Management > Firing Your Oven

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2011, 02:04 PM
Journeyman

Default Re: Oven Curing

What brand of kiln David, most likely "Tetlow"?
Old 10-12-2011, 03:39 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Yes, it's a Tetlow. It has a fancy emissions extraction system which draws from the bottom and then pumps it out through the roof. Some nasty fumes not particularly good for children.
Old 11-22-2011, 01:00 PM
Peasant

I finished my oven and have been waiting for a month for a few days of dry weather.

Attached is first curing fire, The top of the dome heated up to 300-350 degrees F, the middle sides only heated to 180 range. I burned a small fire for 8 hours using twigs of oak and branch pieces about 1-2 inches in diameter. After about 3 hours I started seeing black build up on the dome and work its way down, but after 8 hours the it has not reached the bottom 2 courses. It looks to me that the moisture is being removed from the top down which is good.

I am worried that it is going to rain on day 4 of the curing process. Is it a good idea to still light a fire and attempt to cure the oven or will I be waisting my time or damage the oven?

When I get the curing fires up to 400-500 F range can I safely us it to cook with, even though I have not finished curing. I want to roast a chicken or turkey.
Attached Thumbnails
Oven Curing-first-fire.jpg  
Old 11-23-2011, 02:13 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I'd want to make sure that the oven is covered from the rain but if it's covered curing wouldn't cause problems. The fire will burn a bit slower due to the humidity but it's still going to help. As for cooking, cook away during the curing.

Chris
Old 11-24-2011, 10:52 AM
Peasant

Thanks for the info Chris.

It rained last night and I did cover the dome only had the vent stack exposed. I had the oven dome up to 450 F and the outside has cold, the 3" of insulating blankets sure keeps the outside of the oven cool to the touch. The oven stayed dry and was still hot this morning only lost about 70 degrees F in 12 hours. I am going to heat it up to 450 F for a few hours and put a turkey in and see what happens.

Wes
Old 11-24-2011, 12:46 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Weslenker,
By the look of the photo you have already done the outer shell. It is better to do the drying fires before making the outer shell so the water can safely find its way out. You will have to take it slow to avoid damage as the outer shell has a tendency to lock the moisture in, particularly if you made it waterproof.
Old 11-24-2011, 11:08 PM
Peasant

Thanks for the information, I am going to do a few extra fires in the 450 range for a few more days. I got lucky and it did not rain today! Heated the oven to 450 for 4 hours let the fire die down for 2 hours and cooked a turkey in it at 375 for 3 1/2 hours turned out great.
Old 12-07-2011, 10:02 AM
Apprentice

My dome has been done for 4 weeks now and the vent arch area for 3 weeks.
I already have the insulation and enclosure in place. I had the oven up to
100' at the top of the dome using a shoplight only.
I want to get started with the curing fire sequense, I am really worried about the dome cracking since it was a lot of work. I figure the longer I wait the less chance of a crack but after three week since completion of the outter arch and vent area and four weeks on the dome, I am getting anxious to get it fired up.
If a crack does show up, am I supposed to grind out the crack area and remortar it or just leave it alone?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Gino
Old 12-07-2011, 01:55 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gino, crack repair depends on how big and where it is. If doesn’t or it’s not going to cause future problems and it isn’t unsightly don’t screw with it. When you start grinding you risk creating other problems. As for this stage of your curing you want as even and predictable a burn as you can get. Your mantra should be low and slow, just edging up the temps so that the oven is as evenly heated as possible to the targeted temps.

Chris

Last edited by SCChris; 12-07-2011 at 02:11 PM.
Old 12-07-2011, 02:15 PM
Journeyman

BBQ burner ring and LPG is a great curing aid, or use heat-beads.