Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Oven Management > Firing Your Oven

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2010, 03:55 PM
Peasant

Default Re: Oven Curing

Sounds like you had exellent control of the temps, I had a little harder time keeping the same temp but I also cured it a little different as I started a news paper fire only, let cool then news paper and kindling then added wood to the mix each day for seven days but from day six I kept and tried to maintain a 500 deg oven for the day. When more wood was added the oven temp would spike for a little while then come down to the desired temp and as I was doing this the oven cleared telling me that the moisture has been driven out. So I think at this point you can increase the temp slowly to 600 keep an I for the clearing let it cool down then do one last cure at 700 + temp for a short period, let it cool then if the moisture is gone I think I would still take my time as I here that it takes 10 or 12 firings to get the oven stableized. Good Luck

Cheers!!
Old 11-20-2010, 05:45 PM
Serf

I have just made a brick dome oven. Should I do the first firing prior to putting the insulation and the clay outer on to let the steam out?
Old 11-22-2010, 04:50 PM
Peasant

Yes I would make a few fires to let the steam out and also this alows you to see if any repairs are needed . I have finished my 42" pompeii oven and fire cured it as per the instructions on the forno bravo forum and I tookit a few steps further to be sure. when I got to the 5th and 6th fires I then got the oven up to 500,600 deg F and maintained that temp for 5 to 6 hrs. This was done without insulation and I did see some steam come off the dome. There were a couple of spote that I was able to see that there was a path for the smohe to escape and that was not a concern, i then layered a 1/2 coat of refractory motor over every thing, let that cure for a week then insulated it with FB blacket and then vermiculite. I am inclosing the dome. So long story short I then had a fire built up slow to 500-600 deg F and maintained this for 5 hrs and actually cooked a roast chicken. The next day the oven was still warm to the touch. This prompted me to start the big scary fire, I loaded the oven up and started the fire. The oven cleared in about and hr and I was reading temps of over 932 F The floor temp was also over 900 and Tonight a day later the oven is still hot to the touch. Sorry for the reply but I wanted to get across the message that taking your time and insulating properly realy does pay off. I have now officially brocken in the oven with 5 pizza's under my belt that were cooked in 90 sec or less, UNBELIEVABLE. Cheers!
Old 01-12-2011, 05:41 AM
Serf

Default Re: I'm not expert, but...

During the installation and curing process if the outside temp falls below freezing will this effect the oven?
Old 01-12-2011, 05:17 PM
Peasant

Yes it will. Depending on how cold it gets I would stop construction or if you can cover your oven and place an electric heater or heat lamp so that the mortor will not freeze. Not good! Good luck Cheers

Last edited by That's Amore; 01-17-2011 at 04:38 PM.
Old 04-15-2011, 06:36 PM
Serf

I have just purchased a primavera 60 and blew it during curing..I have cracks inside and a few holes and forgo bravo is closed for the weekend,,, I am devastasted...is there any hope this can be fixed...david
Old 05-15-2011, 09:29 PM
Serf

I bought my oven (casa 40") five months ago and I'm finally getting to the curing process (please don't ask why, I've been busy). Couple of questions: Did my oven cure while sitting unused during this time? If not, when using an IR thermometer, where do I point it to gauge the 100 degree increase each day (the dome? fire? floor?). Thanks.
Old 05-17-2011, 07:34 PM
Peasant

Hey all-

I'm following your thread and send good wishes on curing.

For those of you who may have read my thread a few months ago about having to demo and correct our oven that was built for us - *not* to FB plans as asked... we have had to wait to clean up some medical/surgical stuff (all good news)... once I get back onto this surgical knee we will do it and keep you posted. Thank you - again - for all your help. Then later... (we too) will be entering the curing process!

Best of luck!
Peter
Old 05-18-2011, 01:59 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidw View Post
I have just purchased a primavera 60 and blew it during curing..I have cracks inside and a few holes and forgo bravo is closed for the weekend,,, I am devastasted...is there any hope this can be fixed...david
You should have read the instructions. If the thing is still holding together, that's is it hasn't collapsed, you can probably still fire it ok and it should still perform normally.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:35 AM
Peasant

Default Heat gun curing

I just finished my dome and exterior arch, and have a layer of vermicrete over the top. Chimney not on yet, that will go on tomorrow or day next.

I'm using a 1500W heat gun to dry out the oven. I've got the entrance blocked with extra fire brick with a hole for the heat gun to go in.

After a half hour the temp of the air inside by the door (measured with a digital thermometer stuck through the bricks) is about 150 F, about 10 degrees higher after another half hour. The air coming out feels like a sauna it's so humid. Of course, there was probably 20 - 30 gallons (or more) of water in the vermicrete so this might take a while.

« Wood Question... | - »