Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Oven Management > Firing Your Oven

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2009, 12:17 PM
Laborer

Default Re: Oven Curing

Chris, any obvious signs of cracking or other problems? I was thinking of using a similar approach to cure my oven.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-23-2009, 12:59 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Mluttropp

No cracks that I've seen yet. All that said, it's early yet, and I kinda feel like some cracking is part of the deal, I just want them to be small and stay that way. Like I tell friends, it's really just an organized pile of bricks and it's going to expand and contract. I'll get onto 350 tonight and 400 tomorrow and keep things here updated. Keep your fingers crossed.

Chris
Old 10-23-2009, 04:25 PM
Journeyman

Interestingly, I didn't see any cracking until I thought I was done with the cure. After one of my earliest cooking fires -- when it really got hot -- I saw the first crack and inspected further. I've just had to become accustomed to them.

Joe
Old 10-23-2009, 05:06 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I figure I'm not going to know about all the cracking for a couple of weeks, after a few "big one" burns. I've included a picture of the burner I found. I set a few bricks up at the doorway to allow for heat saturation in the dome. I figure I'll have to switch to wood for the 500 degree burn and because of the current containment of the heat in the dome, I may run a low wood fire or 2 before going 400+ with wood to let the entry do a bit of baking.The wood is going to create more draft, in and out.

This burner may also be a help in getting wood fires going.

Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Oven Curing-jt850.jpg  

Last edited by SCChris; 10-23-2009 at 05:13 PM.
Old 10-24-2009, 08:49 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I've had the burn going for 14 more hours and here is the update. I started the burn at 6:30 and the oven temps were 150 on the inside and 100 on the exterior of the dome. The warmup last night seemed to take forever. I started things slow to avoid thermal shock and after 30 minutes I dialed things up a bit. I did this for about 4 hours, adding flame and taking stock 15 to 30 minutes later. I finally went wide open a bit after 10. At this point the oven was running between 280 and 300 and wasn't gaining temp quickly. Even after going wide open I haven't gotten over 340 on the interior and some areas of the dome, at the same level, are 30 degrees lower in temp. I kept checking on the temp and LP level throughout the night. The temps have continued to move up but not to the target of 350. I'd have liked to be dialing the burner down to keep from going over this mark but the burner doesn't seem to have the BTU to push past 340 given all of the variables. I've decided to insulate and see where that takes things. Currently the outside of the soldier course is 144+ and the outside top of the dome is 172. With insulation and day I'd expect to bring the interior temps up a bit. No external cracking has been noticed.

Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Oven Curing-burner1.jpg   Oven Curing-burner2.jpg   Oven Curing-rockwool1.jpg  

Last edited by SCChris; 10-24-2009 at 08:51 AM.
Old 10-24-2009, 05:11 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

sounds fine chris, dont forget it takes a while to drive all that moisture out.. you will reach your desired temp, I am curious how much it will go up once you add the insulation,,

Cheers
Mark
Old 10-24-2009, 07:08 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Mark,

Thanks for the encouragement, I’m also curious to see what’ll happen with the insulation. I’d hoped to get things wrapped, but the rockwool bats turn out to be rockwool soft boards. Heck they were not overly expensive, and I’ll use them, more insulation is better. I also have 3 very large bags of vermiculite and will find some quality batting, it's only money :-|... The containment building is beginning to look like it’ll be filled to the top with all sorts of insulation. I’ve started another overnight burn and hope I can run closer to the 350 mark and more important get the water out. It sounds like there is a chance of rain next weekend, so I’ll focus on getting the building up, not finished but to the point where the insulation can be finished and curing finished up as well. I found a source for wood, Almond, Orange, Oak and Eucaliptus among others. From what I saw the wood is nicely aged, I’ll have to shop for price to verify it’s market price.

Chris

Last edited by SCChris; 10-24-2009 at 07:10 PM.
Old 10-24-2009, 10:01 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Good job keeping focused Chris on getting the moisture out. I think your process of heating up the oven as you did will work out. I'm hoping that your getting to the low 300's for a few hours got you over and past the "OMG...I've got a big crack" point, and I'd bet you've done that. You'll be so happy in few weeks when you're tossing all that wood into a 700 deg fire and thinking nothing of it. And like Mark said, your temps will go way up with the insulation.

Hey and I'm glad you've found a use for those expensive, dull 10" wet saw blades! -dino

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet

My Oven Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 09:24 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Last nightís burn went different than I had anticipated, not bad just different. I started the burn at 6:30 and gave it an hour of gentle flame, less than full throttle, before I opened things up full. At 8:00 I was approaching 360 at 9:30 I was 370 in some places and at 11 I was about the same although the temps were more consistent. Itís at this point I decided that I could settle in for a few hours, and did. I woke at 3:30 and went to check temps, holy $#1+, I was 410 throughout, and 210 on the top outside Ĺ of the dome, 180 on the soldiers. I decided that it was time to shut things down and take stock in the morning. The interior temps are now about 260 and the exterior top is down to 170. No cracks that I can see so far. I still need to do a real visual of the interior and exterior without the loose bats, but these will wait till things cool more. The 210 temp says to me that I was pushing steam, I didnít see any, but the temp and broad distribution of this temp says that this is what was going on. The chimney stack was cool and the top of the interior entry arch was over 530. Today's work is to get a building frame in place. With weather coming and the need to organize the semi-rigid insulation, at least to the point where I can continue curing. I'm a bit suprised that the burner is able to push temps to 400+ without formal, taylored, insulation.

Chris
Old 10-25-2009, 07:10 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hi Chris,,
As your driving the moisture out, you can see its building heat,, Thats great..

Cheers
Mark