Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Oven Management > Firing Your Oven

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2009, 08:51 PM
Serf

Default Re: Oven Curing

hi guys,

i have finished my oven about 3 weeks ago. i used 1 inch thick high grade refractory mortar as render over the dome, then 2inches if ceramic fibre blanket and finally an inch of cement render (added fire-clay and lime) to finish.

i havent yet started the firing process as i have a concern. The weather down here in Sydney Aus is cold and wet. Over the past 3 weeks, almost half of the days it has been raining. My oven is out in the back yard in the open. would it still be ok to begin the firing process?

regards, Harris.
Old 07-11-2009, 10:44 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

The outside render needs at least a week of dampness to increase its strength. Ferro cement boat builders talk about 28 damp days. I would be starting the curing process, but don't rush it. You can cook bread and roasts at 200 C just don't be in a hurry to get to pizza temp.
Old 07-12-2009, 11:09 PM
Serf

cool thanks for the advice. starting the firing today

I just had some firewood delivered (ironbark $65 for quarter ton) and the sizes of the pieces are approx L30cm x W10cm x D15cm. I feel as though they may be a bit too big?? what do you think?

..and because its ironbark, it will take some hard yakka to split them..
Old 07-13-2009, 12:46 AM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
I just had some firewood delivered (ironbark $65 for quarter ton) and the sizes of the pieces are approx L30cm x W10cm x D15cm. I feel as though they may be a bit too big?? what do you think?

..and because its ironbark, it will take some hard yakka to split them..
I would split some of it down to pieces about 3-5cm round to use to get the fire going. If it is well seasoned it should split ok with an axe

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-13-2009, 05:03 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

As a general rule I reckon burn nothing thicker than your wrist
Old 07-18-2009, 04:40 AM
Serf

thanks David, ive decided to go with your idea and am splitting the wood to 'wrist thickness' as i go..

finally i completed my curing/firing yesterday. Today i wanted to fire it up to see how hot i can get it. Admittedly i didn't load it too much but had a descent size fire going for about an hour or so... burnt through about 24 logs 2''x3''x16'' each.

only managed to get the internal temp upto 280C... i imagined it would have got alot hotter... any advice on what im doing wrong?

the outside of my oven was only slightly warm to the touch.. and also the top of the chamber(on inside) turns white, which i am told by my elderly italian neighbour it indicates ideal cooking temp

Last edited by Harrison; 07-18-2009 at 04:46 AM.
Old 07-18-2009, 06:44 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Your oven still contains water and the fuel is busy using its energy to convert it to steam. Don't try to get the dome completely white yet. Do some roasts or bread making. You will find that your oven will use less fuel and get to temp quicker the more you use it. Reread the threads on oven curing and enjoy some cooking along the way,
Cheers
Old 08-05-2009, 02:44 PM
Apprentice

On the last day when I reach 800 can I make a standard pizza making fire? Or should I only let it get to 800 and then die down? I'm ready to clear up the dome and cook some pizzas in the inferno from hell!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-20-2009, 02:52 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I have a question on an LP burner to use for the initual 300 degree 24 hour burn.

Is this what we're talking about? (I found MK1s pictures of his burner, shown as burner2) This makes a bit more sense as nothing is combustable on his rig.

Thanks

Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Oven Curing-burner.jpg  
Attached Images

Last edited by SCChris; 10-20-2009 at 03:12 PM.
Old 10-23-2009, 08:10 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

It's about 7am now and I've been running a burner since 5pm last night. The interior temps have been maintained between 250 and 290 and the outside dome is 160 on top and 120 to 130 on the soldier course. The sun isn't quite up and I'm already having to adjust the burner down to maintain 300 degrees F. It's a clear warm dry morning about 60 and should go to 80 or more today. Wednesday evening I went looking for burners that would work. I found that the turkey fryers had flexable hoses to the jet assembly and these brought the hose within a couple of inches of the burner. This was not going to work. I found a burner at Lowes, in the tool area, that's either for burning weeds from concrete cracks, or for applying roll roofing. Anyway it's working great. I have a 1.25 inch 90 degree copper fitting redirecting the flame vertical and have one of the used 10 wet saw blades dispersing the flame. I've used an estimated 2/3 of a propane over the last 14 hours. I need to shutdown now and get back at it this evening.

Chris