Old 06-08-2013, 12:59 PM
Master Builder

Default Re: Oak, Red Oak or Post Oak please advise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo View Post
Here in Ohio firewood has to be sold by the cord or half cord.

I am a little surprised that a Ton of hardwood would cost more than a ton of softwood. It seems like someone would have a lot more time and work into cutting and splitting a ton of Pine than he would a ton of Oak.

I realized that my link didn't take in my post above so I edited it in. It is a pretty informative site.
Don't you realize the hardwoods are valued more than softwood? Their growth rate, availability and demands are different. If they were cheaper, I wouldn't have a stick of pine in my house or furniture.
Old 06-08-2013, 01:41 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurentius View Post
Don't you realize the hardwoods are valued more than softwood? Their growth rate, availability and demands are different. If they were cheaper, I wouldn't have a stick of pine in my house or furniture.
Availability may be limited where you are located, and possibly in Australia as well. In my woods the hardwood species far outnumber the softwoods.

As far as furniture goes I would guess that hardwood is valued more for it's durability and beauty rather than it's rarity. I also think that the comparison between furniture and firewood is a bit of a stretch on your part.

I would guess that the price difference has much more to do with the higher demand for hardwoods as a preferred firewood. Imagine if you were selling wood by the Ton. In some cases you could charge as much for half the amount of hardwood as for softwood, that means half the work, half the time, half the processing cost.........pretty good deal.
Old 06-08-2013, 04:20 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I actually prefer cedar as it is called in the Hill Country (more proprly Mountain Juniper) for heating my oven. It burns fast and hot and is generally free. While it should not be used for smoking due to the resin in it, at WFO temps the bad stuff burns and it is smokeless. Switching to oak or mesquite for pizza is nice because it burns longer and makes less ash and sparks, but... I don't find oak necessary. I often just use cedar. And cedar is great for heating the oven for baking or general cooking.
Old 06-08-2013, 05:13 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I guess it is all related to the area/location/availability. There are no juniper here that I know of. The only pines that grow where I live are heavy with resin (southern pine, loblolly pine). What we call "turkey pine" (I have been told is actually a type of spruce) is not so rich in resin when dried but, we normally leave them alone because they look great in the landscape. Our pines are valued here in the lumber and paper industries. The oaks here, are normally thought of as "something taking the space needed for the cash crop" . It may be a result of heritage, old wives tales, etc. but, no one down here would even consider cooking or heating with pine. It really doesn't matter though (in my case) because there is plenty of hardwood here for the taking .
This is rare down here though!

A friend of mine had to cut a cherry tree to make way for a fence. Today, he brought me about half of it. Now that is going to be some fine smoking wood.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.