Old 03-26-2013, 02:25 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Newbie needs an advise

New ovens are always smoky. Keep firing.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:03 AM
Serf

I cured it for a week with propane burner and same time I dried my wood.
Yesterday it was a first time I fired my oven after curing and was able to get good result not much smoke. Oven temperature was 900F dome and close to 700F at the floor.
I removed the coals after sides of the oven cleared, put the oven door for about an hour for my temp (550F floor - 110 outside at the dom top) to equals, after that time I put my first loafs (4 for test).

Unfortunately, once I did that huge storm with lots of rain came in, 45 minutes later I pulled my bread which came really good consider rain, but the floor of the oven came down to 370F really to quick, I think.

Newbie mistakes, I think, I need more insulation on the dome and the floor.
Can I put additional layer of brick or tiles on the floor?
In advance I appreciate your advise.

Thanks
Old 04-01-2013, 08:27 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Anything you can do to insulate will help. For the dome, ceramic blanket is recommended. It's costly but your dome isn't big so your cost shouldn't be high. $100 to $200. Your alternatives are the vermiculite and concrete blend but it's not as insulative and more work.

Under the floor, if you can get any insulation under the floor of the oven you'll greatly benifit. If you add more bricks to the floor you're adding mass not insulation and it'll take you more wood to get to temp. If you're careful, and you can remove the floor of the oven and then add an inch of calcium silicate rigid insulation or insulating firebrick and then replace the floor with your firebrick, you'll find that the oven does better heating and retaining heat.

If pulling your floor is not an option then you might find some advantage getting insulation on the bottom of the support slab. I don't know how hot this area gets but assuming it gets over 200F you might use something like fiberglass insulation. You'd need to frame up someway to hold this insulation place against this area and it's not ideal, but it's better than nothing. If I were you, I'd start at the top and work down. Wrap the dome and weatherproof it, stucco over the insulating layer. Then take stock of how your oven is working and decide on the next move.

Chris

Last edited by SCChris; 04-01-2013 at 08:31 AM.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:12 AM
Serf

Thanks a lot Chris for your advise!!
Old 04-01-2013, 09:13 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Newbie, you mentioned in a older post that you have 3" of insulation on the dome. Is this vermicrete? or??

Chris
Old 04-01-2013, 10:58 AM
Serf

I have 2 layers of thermal blanket and I think is 1 1/2" which is covered with 2" of stucco.
I think I need to add some tiles on the floor or add insulation underneath of my oven stand, I do not know..
Old 04-01-2013, 03:06 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

underneath the stand won't do much good. You need insulation between the floor bricks and the hearth if you the oven to hold heat and you want to bake bread

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 04-01-2013, 05:14 PM
Serf

Ok, So what should I do?
I cannot remove existing brick. Should I laydown ceramic board on the top of my floor and lay another layer of brick?

Do don't know what to do at this point.
Old 04-01-2013, 05:49 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I know you have the floor on sand that is on foil that sits on the concrete, and that the dome sits on some of these bricks. It looks like your arch is something like 10 to 12 inches. I wouldn't want to do much bread if I didn't have a minimum of 2.25 inches of brick in the floor so if you build on top of what you have you'll be loosing the 2.25 and an inch for insulation so a total of 3.25 inches from the existing arch height and this will leave you with something like 7 to 9 inches of vertical. I think if I were in your shoes, I'd work with what you have for a season and see where it takes you. Even if it sounds like Deejayoh and I have some disagreement relative to insulating under the hearth, we both agree that some benefit will be there. Would it be worth the effort? and how much effort would it be? This is where we might butt heads. Anyway, I think I'd work with what you have for a few months and you'll have a greater perspective of your ovens strengths and limitations. In the end you might pull it apart and rebuild it as v.2 and you might find that it's just the right size or too small or whatever. You have the benefit of a oven to play with and any solid WFO is better than none.

Do you have a IR thermometer to check under the hearth and on the dome? They are highly recommended.

Chris

PS enjoy your oven!! Don't worry, Be happy!
Old 04-02-2013, 06:28 AM
Serf

Thanks for your advise! I will report my under the hearth temperature after next fire.

Tags
smoke, wood