Old 06-23-2011, 09:21 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: New guy with smoke and heat question...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwood View Post
Ok, I will get off my soapbox now. Thanks for listening.
If we all revert back to cubits then there will be no problem....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-23-2011, 09:22 PM
Master Builder

btw, shouldn't the place where your buying the brick have an MSDS on it? In Ca they are required to have an MSDS on everything in the store.
Old 06-23-2011, 09:38 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickie in oz View Post
If we all revert back to cubits then there will be no problem....
ahhh - those were the days! (right - whats a cubit? Insert Bill Cosby here)

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 06-24-2011, 07:55 AM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwood View Post
btw, shouldn't the place where your buying the brick have an MSDS on it? In Ca they are required to have an MSDS on everything in the store.
Not sure what is required but in NYC things don't exactly get done like the rest of the country. People are grumpy.
Old 06-24-2011, 10:37 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

They are probably low or medium duty, either of which would be fine. Find out how much one weighs. Regular low duty 9" firebricks weigh about 8-9 lbs (i think that is right). If they are super light then they would be high duty. But as Dmun says, they are likely low duty (which is really what you want!). High duty are more expensive.

Old 07-17-2011, 10:00 AM
Serf

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC View Post
My biggest issue is dismantling the existing oven and enlarging the stand to accommodate the flue landing for a 36" Pompeii. I read the 70+ pages of the plans. Is this a DYI for someone who is very handy (built a few bathrooms from scratch) or would you recommend a mason?

How is it going?

I'd not dismantle. Check into making the chimney longer if that helps with draw.... some wood stoves will only draft if the chimney is longer. And to reduce the opening size look at a custom build enclosure for the top of the archway. There is an indoor Forno Oven at an Italian supermarket here, and its bigger than 42" and there are no smoke marks at the opening. They have about 6 inches of stainless steel sheet metal covering the top 6 inches of the archway. This would improve the ratio of your chimney to archway. I am also guessing you could hook up a 600 cfm fan to that and use it only when getting the oven hot. This would be much cheaper than starting over.

We have a smoke issue too which I'm looking at getting a custom metal worker to work out a fix.... to keep the front archway smoke free. Could be a newbe trying to heat the oven too quickly. The oven is 42" and brand new, just don't like smelling like a camper every time I get the oven fired up... and would like some custom stainless steel metal work to make it more aesthetic.

If you found a fix let me know.... try a work around before changing your oven.... and it may settle down.
Old 07-17-2011, 07:42 PM
Master Builder

NYC, what did you decide to do?
Old 07-18-2011, 06:37 AM
Apprentice

Well, the manufacturer has been completely useless. When I pointed them here they said they know their product works and not to listen to a "bunch of Internet know it alls."

Needless to say I was less than impressed with the demeanor. They also said they would send someone to look at it and instead sent a long email asking for all this engineering and scientific data like wind direction etc. It is obvious they are dodging the real issue which is design flaw, lack of insulation, etc. I have not ruled out legal action.

The installer is still cummunicating and while I do not think it is right to have had 7 weeks pass since expressing concern and no one has given me any solutions or come here to see it, they say they will send someone this week. We shall see what happens.
Old 07-18-2011, 12:31 PM

Quote:
not to listen to a "bunch of Internet know it alls.
I'm not a know-it-all, but I know one thing: How to build an oven that fires up every time with a minimum of smoke leakage, that gets up to temperature on a couple of armfuls of wood, and that works every time, winter and summer, for years at a time. I know this one thing because I did it myself, and I've listened to hundreds of people show their own builds.

I also have a pretty good idea of how to build an oven that doesn't work well. That's because about one person a month comes through here with an oven problem. Improper venting, no insulation/wet insulation/bad insulation. We've heard it all. Saddest of all is when someone has paid a ton of money to an "authority" and still not gotten an oven that works. I wish your oven was the only example of this.
Old 07-18-2011, 03:18 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

And we tend to see that "authority" make these mistakes a lot, becuase they have not built them themselves, and in theory, it seems pretty simple. But some mistakes are impossible to correct...