Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Oven Management > Firing Your Oven

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2010, 12:34 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Neighbor is complaining about soot damage

Keith, I have to say - you are a more patient and better man than I am. I am pretty sure I would be resorting to something very stupid and not so neighborly at this point.

You wouldn't happen to know someone, who knows someone, who knows a couple of guys named Vinny and Guido who could "take care of things" (for the cost of a few pizzas, of course)?

RT
Old 10-25-2010, 12:38 PM
Journeyman

FWIW, I have firefighters in my family...
Hot embers? I assume you have a spark arresting cap on your chimney. If so, the "hot embers" complaint is basically null and I presume the fire department will agree. As far as health or fire hazard goes, again I'm not seeing how they could possibly logically construe your WFO as either of those things given that it is cleaner burning and safer to operate than a common fireplace. Again, I presume you've complied with local building code. Beyond that, the fire marshalls business is safety. If there is not a valid safety risk, then you have nothing to worry about regardless of what your crazy neighbor says. I actually think it's hilarious that they told her to call 911. She's already begun to use the rope to hang herself!
Maybe this will be a good thing. I have no doubt you are the more rational side of the argument. Approach the impending visit with the sound belief that you have done nothing wrong and continue to be rational and cooperative and just see what happens. Heck, they'd probably love to see your WFO in action...firefighters do love them some fire! Plus then you have the opportunity to demonstrate that there isn't really ANY smoke after the fire gets going. And to feed them. Firefighters love to eat as much as they love fire.

Putting a/the door on your oven will extinguish a fire lickety split.

I hear you on getting the fun taken out if it. Take a deep breath. It will work itself out and you'll have your WFO mojo back eventually.
Old 10-25-2010, 12:44 PM
Master Builder

I had a thought and you may want to call these people and see if this item could work on the WFO. I was thinking that if you (if possible) could add a catalytic converter to your chimney. It would arrest all sparks and reduce the smoke from the chimney. It also burns the smoke a second time.
Catalytic Add-On Stove Damper

I know it works great for wood stoves but not sure about a lighter draft such as on a WFO

Just a thought.
Old 10-25-2010, 12:57 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thanks. Just to verify, you don't see any danger in closing up a fire behind a door? I have in my mind some fictional scenario wherein there is a pressure build up and the door is blown off like a cannon. Am I being ridiculous?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

WFO Webpage:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thread:

Old 10-25-2010, 01:00 PM
Master Builder

Nope... if anything it will create a vacuum.
Old 10-25-2010, 01:10 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

If I may geek out briefly, assuming a relatively good seal around the door, there would be little matter-transfer, so any pressure change would be the result of temperature changes, not actual matter influx or outflux. If it continued to heat up, the pressure would go up. If it started to cool down, the pressure would drop (not to be confused with a vacuum, which is not merely a lack of pressure but a lack of matter).

I think you and Tscar are basically right. The temperature would begin to drop, thus the gases in the oven (mostly hot air) would loss their pressure as exerted against the walls and door, thus the exterior pressure would in fact "push" the door onto the oven more aggressively than in an equalized scenario.

Okay, that makes sense to me.

Thanks.

WFO Webpage:

Thread:

Old 10-25-2010, 01:13 PM
Master Builder

Keith, I would suggest a CO2 fire extinguisher. They aren't cheap but a whole lot safer and easier to clean up should the need arise. I have a fairly large one I keep in case of a chimney fire (I heat with wood you may remember, and although I keep my chimney clean I believe in back up systems).

In the actual case of trying to put out a roaring WFO I would activate the extinguisher at least a foot from the entrance. As the temp of the exiting CO2 will less likely damage the bricks from that distance. If nothing else the fire guys will be pleased that you have a credible method of extinguishing the fire.

Hope this helps,
Wiley
Old 10-25-2010, 02:19 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I do it every time I use the oven, there is always still some fire going when I door it off.
Old 10-25-2010, 06:32 PM
Apprentice

Use your driest wood and build a fire...it's time to rodeo. This gal is pushing this issue to its conclusion.

I would assume your oven burns like a furnace after start up and all that will be visible to the Fire Chief will be waves of heat...just what you want them to see.

I would also take him aside and explain that the woman has mold issues and is trying to do everything in her power to deny it, including refusing to test.

When you are in the right, you fight.
Old 10-25-2010, 10:18 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I feel so bad for you not being able to enjoy your oven that you have built with love and patience..

Your fire chiefs seem to sold some sway, over here they would be told to go jump in no uncertain circumstances, unless of course if it was a total fire ban day.