Old 03-16-2013, 11:15 AM
Apprentice

Default Re: last curing fire / first pizza

I know it's an old post but, on the second fire i've got black smoke and nasty smell to.
Is this happening because the oven is not dryed out?
Old 03-16-2013, 12:07 PM
Laborer

Default Re: last curing fire / first pizza

I think some of the smells could be the oven still drying, also depending on what type of flue you have, if it is a metal lined flue or has metal parts there can be residue from the manufacturing process that needs to burn off. My advice is to take the curing fires nice and slow, following all of the recommendations in the FB instructions. My experience has been that firing the oven too fast (even once it is cured) can cause a lot of excess black smoke.

I have had my oven up and running about 3 1/2 years and it took me the first 6 months or so to figure out how to fire it properly. Much of the black acrid smoke that I originally posted about can be eliminated by heating the oven more slowly. Too much fuel too fast and the oven has not retained enough heat to burn off the smoke. If I'm in a hurry and want to get the oven up to temperature faster, I have a small blower attached to a flexible duct that I use to induce a draft, this helps everything burn hotter sooner. Once the black residue just starts to burn off of the inside of the dome and you have a nice hot bed of coals you shouldn't be seeing any smoke at all.

Good luck, sounds like soon you will be enjoying the rewards of all of your hard work soon,

Doug