Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Oven Management > Firing Your Oven

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2014, 05:35 AM
Master Builder

Default Re: Kiln dried Vs Seasoned?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikku View Post
That is a little different than the old mans--but I can see it would do the trick.
The one you show looks like a swing saw and has some of the guards in place.
I remember another one he had for a while. It was mounted on a joker. I don't know if you use that term in Auz but it referred to a modified car with most of the body removed that was transformed into a type of truck. You put real big tires on it and could maneuver around in the woods to haul things around. One of the early versions of 4WD --dad had two transmissions, don't remember how he steered--maybe just with brakes--but one powered the front wheels, the other the rear--you would have to shift one into first and the other into reverse to move forward. If you didn't need 4WD, you would have one in neutral. Don't know or remember how he handled the clutches but they were linked somehow...
My old man did something similar. In the early 1960's he took a 1938 dodge sedan cut the back half of the body off and closed in what was left with sheet metal. This gave him a crude 2 door pick up. he bolted a second gear box on the end of the first one somehow. Only 2 wheel drive, but he could go into low, low gear. Used it to do a fence building job in the hills. The thing would idle up just about any hill that wasn't an out and out cliff face.
Old 03-19-2014, 09:30 AM
Journeyman

It really boils down to supply and demand, it seems. I live in an area where wood is abundant. Most guys also leave the tops/brush. Sometimes I cut a tree down to about 3-4 inches. Yes, for the time and labor involved, it is not "worth it" when there is a huge supply. But I do it anyway, especially if it's hickory, apple or cherry. All of which I have a large supply of. Not to mention the red and white oak, etc. In the summer months here, I also sell firewood to campers that visit a nearby campground, so it's nice to have some smaller stuff mixed in for their campfires. They like it. Like I said, supply and demand.....and time.....and energy.
jeffd98 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"You better cut the pizza in four pieces, because I'm not hungry enough to eat six." - Yogi Berra
Old 03-19-2014, 01:13 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Apple or cherry, now that's something different to me. I take everything 1" or larger when it comes to those species.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Current WFO build -

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 03-19-2014, 02:40 PM
Journeyman

I figured you would. I have a nice little pile of smaller crab apple branches, mostly 1-3". They will be set aside for cooking in the oven, for sure. I also have the rest of the tree, still needing to be split. I wasn't about to leave those branches, though. It was from a storm damaged site.

"You better cut the pizza in four pieces, because I'm not hungry enough to eat six." - Yogi Berra
Old 03-23-2014, 08:46 AM
Journeyman

My neighbor has a very large pecan tree he is about to cut down for a lady. He says I can come and cut a few loads when he starts. Looking forward to that. I've never used it, but I hear pecan is much more common down your way in S.C. Pretty rare here. He had some awhile back and sold two half cord loads for $200 each. Then he said the guy would take all he could get him, so I guess he stands to make some good money on this next tree. For $400 a cord, I hope he does.
Gulf likes this.

Old 05-06-2014, 09:40 PM
Master Builder

Just got around to clean up around my house. Things accumulate when your busy working elsewhere. Had to cut up a pallet and wanted to show the chop saw that is handy. Actually it is just a large miter saw.

Kiln dried Vs Seasoned?-img_1658a.jpg

Kiln dried Vs Seasoned?-img_1659a.jpg

Cannot buy these large ones new any longer but I had a tool guy rebuild one for me. Biggest expense was a new blade. Does not run real fast but it sure can hog through some big blocks of wood. I've been using it recently for some timber framing work--that is why it was out. Decided to make short pieces out of long pieces of pallets that I was burning just to make smoke outdoors.