Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Oven Management > Firing Your Oven

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2014, 12:12 PM
Apprentice

Default Re: Kiln dried Vs Seasoned?

Thanks for all the advice, I've been reluctant to use anything other than purchased hardwood but there's a lit if trees down after the recent weather , pity my chainsaw needs a service. I'd still shy away from construction timber due to possible chemical treatment. Aidan, I bought my chainsaw in Aldi or Lidl about 6 years ago and it has served me well. It's 2 stroke, some American brand . You should keep your eye out for them.
One thing I've read is that resinous pine or softwoods give a creosote flavour to your food.
Aidan, did you cook food with the conifers you burned or was it just disposal?
Old 02-17-2014, 01:04 PM
Master Builder

Japan got hit with a bit of snow beginning last Friday. Our area got over 10 inches that later turned to sleet and rain.

Biggest problem here, rural areas don't plow the roads. Now we have frozen ruts that you have to follow to get out to more heavily used roads. Lots of branches down and debris everywhere.

All other means of transport have been stopped or slowed; flights cancelled, Shinkansen rail delayed or stopped, local trains in Tokyo--some crashes because trains could not stop, major highways clogged up with miles of traffic jams. In short, a real mess!

This is the second major weather system to hit here in the last 10 days. Probably the same system that is hitting the USA, Europe and other parts of the world. Glad that spring is right around the corner.
Old 02-17-2014, 03:52 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Aidan, did you cook food with the conifers you burned or was it just disposal?
No Rich just disposal and an opportunity to heat up the oven after (during) the long winter - but having seen it clear the dome I don't think I would have a problem using it to get the oven up to temp - just don't cook while it is smoking I would guess. Maybe there is other advice. There is a lot of intermittent smoke initially so that would make it impractical. However it was a good test of the flue - small by most builders on here standards - but it performed well.
I know Aldi and/or Lidl carry chainsaws every now and then - I must keep a watch on their specials. My advice is for what it's worth if you can get fallen tree wood hard or soft use it - unless it is one those few that are toxic for cooking.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Amac; 02-17-2014 at 03:58 PM.
Old 02-17-2014, 05:00 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

No chain saw! OK, but don't think that you can't pick up a lot of "fallen" oven size fuel with a "good" set of loppers.

Some of the larger wood was cut with a chain saw. But, I quickly become tired of handling the saw. I have got to get me a smaller saw .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 02-18-2014, 04:56 AM
Master Builder

You got yourself a real nice load of oven sized firewood. When it dries enough to burn, it will be perfect. Always keeping an eye open is important!
Gulf likes this.
Old 03-14-2014, 11:17 PM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikku View Post
You got yourself a real nice load of oven sized firewood. When it dries enough to burn, it will be perfect. Always keeping an eye open is important!
Took the missus for a drive in the country today. She always keeps an eye open for fallen dead wood, and we like to take the road less travelled, so we generally see something worth grabbing.
Today was no different. I have a Mitsubishi Triton club cab ute. In the US it was sold as a Mighty Max or a Dodge D50. I pretty much filled the tray with seasoned eucalypt.
Brought it home and started cutting it to length with my drop saw..
All was going well until this big girl and her babies ran out of a hollow bit and up my arm! I squealed. The missus and number three son came running to see how many fingers I'd cut off.
Attached Thumbnails
Kiln dried Vs Seasoned?-spider.jpg  
Old 03-15-2014, 04:49 AM
Master Builder

If that ran up my arm, I'd shit my pants! I really hate spiders!
Big blow torch and roast the mother--yuck! Nothing like that here, we have occasional poisonous vipers around but if you stay away from rocky areas facing south near rivers--should be OK.
Old 03-15-2014, 07:14 AM
Apprentice

Personally, I would stay away from the country...avoiding the wildlife!

Having holidayed at Lake Gaston and seen the bird eating spiders webs full of "stock". Nothing that frightening in the UK thank goodness.
Old 03-16-2014, 12:26 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Angry Re: Kiln dried Vs Seasoned?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wotavidone View Post
Took the missus for a drive in the country today. She always keeps an eye open for fallen dead wood, and we like to take the road less travelled, so we generally see something worth grabbing.
Today was no different. I have a Mitsubishi Triton club cab ute. In the US it was sold as a Mighty Max or a Dodge D50. I pretty much filled the tray with seasoned eucalypt.
Brought it home and started cutting it to length with my drop saw..
All was going well until this big girl and her babies ran out of a hollow bit and up my arm! I squealed. The missus and number three son came running to see how many fingers I'd cut off.
G'day Mick
Bit concerned about the dropsaw. They are not designed for rough timber and pieces of bark etc can jam the safety cover real quik, and the wood can twist in you hands real fast.

Kiln dried Vs Seasoned?-img_0279.jpg

Don't remember a thing (shock does that) but my neighbour found the safety cover of the saw jammed open. Weather a bit of wood caught in the saw blades and flicked my hand in Ill never know. The saw must not have been turning under power cause it didn't chop my hand off.
The teeth of the blade did do a good job of breaking bones and cutting nerves and tendons though.
2 1/2 yrs later the middle two fingers have returned to full function and have full movement and feeling. The little finger....they didn't quite have enough left to rebuild it and its shorter and stiff and still gives me pain.
Im happy with my lot, I can live with the pain and the hand has enough function for me to be as good as I ever was.
Mike and whom ever reads this Dropsaws like all power tools are dangerous but more so if you use them to do something they were never designed for

Regards Dave
yes for the first time im using the angry icon
david s and Liteceeper like this.

My Build

My Door

Old 03-16-2014, 12:54 AM
Master Builder

I agree Dave. All power tools are made for their specific job. If they get out of their comfort zone then they bite, grab, throw, catch and generally become dangerous.

Having spent some time around falling and milling timber I know that the only ones with all of their fingers are the blokes with great respect for high speed sharp things. I have all of mine luckily. Might be more good luck than good management but it is all about respect.

Build Thread

Build Pics

Forno Food Pics