Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Oven Management > Firing Your Oven

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2014, 02:11 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Kiln dried Vs Seasoned?

Ice doesn't discriminate between good or rotten wood, though rot does make the tree more susceptible to breakage. There is some good wood on the ground, but I'll probably be long gone before it's ready to burn.

Lots of damage here, still no power. I hate ice ... I'd rather have loads of snow instead.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Current WFO build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 02-13-2014, 04:04 PM
Master Builder

Stay close to home and off the roads!
What do you have? Back-up generation capability to still be online?
Europe is having the same problem caused by the shift in the gulf stream, England is really getting flooded! What next?
Old 02-13-2014, 04:17 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecutter View Post
Ice doesn't discriminate between good or rotten wood, though rot does make the tree more susceptible to breakage. There is some good wood on the ground, but I'll probably be long gone before it's ready to burn.

Lots of damage here, still no power. I hate ice ... I'd rather have loads of snow instead.
Sorry to hear you are w/out power down there. I guess we got lucky and just got all snow up here. We got around 8" here and at least half of it has melted already. Good luck w/your power.
Old 02-13-2014, 05:00 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Just got it back...roads are clear, but still lots of trees and damage. Tree guys are i heaven right now.

I have some widow makers to deal with..time to break out my sling shot and pull rope.

Current WFO build -

John Ruskin
Old 02-13-2014, 06:13 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
I have some widow makers to deal with..time to break out my sling shot and pull rope.
I converted to a compound bow and a purex jug a few years ago. Sort of like a fishing bow and arrow. But, just a little on the "jury rigged" side .
Les likes this.

"There is a snake in the garden."
Old 02-13-2014, 06:31 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf View Post
I converted to a compound bow and a purex jug a few years ago. Sort of like a fishing bow and arrow. But, just a little on the "jury rigged" side .
I would do that if I had a bow for sure! I took my bow hunter course in '06 but I don't have a bow now...I grew up shooting a long bow & recurve. Good times. Maybe when I relocate I'll get a new compound and long bow.
Gulf likes this.

Current WFO build -

John Ruskin
Old 02-14-2014, 03:42 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:

G'day
Yes I goggled ice storm which lead to freezing rain, bloody delightful !
You guys can keep that stuff all to yourselfs, it doesn't sound much fun at all.
I take it your talking about putting a rope over a damaged tree limb, a widow maker?
Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Old 02-14-2014, 04:54 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Yeah, and there are plenty of them hanging right now.
cobblerdave likes this.

Current WFO build -

John Ruskin
Old 02-14-2014, 06:28 AM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikku View Post
G'day to you as well!

Looked a little into this on internet:

treatment is either by heat or chemical treatment, used to prevent the spread of some microscopic pest in raw wood or bark. Really is an international rule for pallet and packaging materials. The stuff with HT as part of their label may be OK for burning, but many time pallets have been repaired for reuse, and repairs must also meet same guidelines--but repair materials may be the chemical treated type.. So even for free??? Still would shy away from using as WFO firewood. Some exceptions in packaging material are manufactured woods--plywood, OSB, MDF--and some with very thin veneers that would not host these insects. But these materials are also not suitable for firewood IMHO.
I understand fully that things are different in certain areas, for example, pallets and laws affecting them, etc. I was simply speaking of how it is where I am. To each their own, I guess. I have used them and storm damage wood for years and will continue to do so. Guess we are lucky to have access to it......in this area.
Old 02-14-2014, 02:39 PM
Master Builder

The more I look into the treatment of pallets, more information points to an international trend. To make it easy to use pallets and re-use pallets, many customers are changing to compliant pallets for all applications. That can be good news for you--if you burn pallet wood. The most acceptable treatment for pest infestation is HT (heat treatment) and no chemicals are added to the pallet wood. Some countries ban the use of chemically treated pallet lumber simply because it cannot be burned for disposal. I guess best practice is to inspect what you are accepting as firewood. Old pallets may still have been chemically treated.