Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Oven Management > Firing Your Oven

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2013, 04:40 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Kiln dried Vs Seasoned?

Rich,
You have gotten some great! advice. I'll try to add to that, if I can. I just did a search on Ireland's Forests. Only 10% of your country is in forest . I see where you are coming from now. Try adding "wind/ice falls" to your oven's diet. In the towns near to where I live, most people welcome someone who would pick up their yard after a storm. Most of these limbs are small and have already dried before they fell. Some may be a little punky, but you can sort them out. I keep a set of loppers with me at all times. You would be surprised at how much wood I pick up this way. And, most of the wind falls are already seasoned. I have also, came right behind the power company when they were trimming green limbs from their right of way. Small limbs, even if they are green when they are cut dry, pretty fast . Some weeks, I may only pick up only a wheel barrow full. But then, I have had to go back home and get my pickup and chain saw .
Attached Thumbnails
Kiln dried Vs Seasoned?-005-23-.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 11-26-2013, 06:04 PM
Apprentice

Great advice from Gulf. I do similar work to get limbs and branches from the utility companies where I live. It is easy and they usually are willing to let you have them for free. You just need to be in the right place at the right time to get some free firewood.
Old 12-19-2013, 01:45 AM
Apprentice

We purchased kiln dried for our first firing and it was real expensive, around 200 a tonne bag, that lasted around 3 months. We get a trailer full of seasoned hardwood logs for 90 that lasts 9 months.
Old 02-12-2014, 01:51 PM
Journeyman

Hi rich
Smoky wood will not damage the oven - only cause a nuisance if you have neighbours. Recently I got rid of a Christmas tree and some Leylandii (you might know what a pain this stuff is) branches in the oven. The Christmas tree was so dry it burned insantly like petrol. The leylandii was fresh and smoked like hell at first but when it caught properly it stopped smoking and cleared all the soot from the dome after about two hours of feeding it that stuff.
Aidan
Attached Thumbnails
Kiln dried Vs Seasoned?-dsc_1908.jpg   Kiln dried Vs Seasoned?-dsc_1918.jpg  

Old 02-12-2014, 04:02 PM
Journeyman

Here in this area, there is a virtually limitless supply of wooden pallets. I could go get a pickup load anytime. There are so many businesses that accumulate them, they love people to come get them. I run a small firewood business during the summer (we live near a campground and sell wood to campers) and use the pallet slats for kindling. The large majority of the pallets here are oak. Great stuff, for free. Keeps them out of the landfill, too. If you can find a good pallet source, it's great stuff for your WFO, free. At the least, a good way to supplement your supply.
Old 02-12-2014, 04:46 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

NC,

Everytime I get a product on a pallet I have to pay a deposit. Somewhere around 10-15 bucks. They are hard to come by in the west...

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 02-12-2014, 04:50 PM
Master Builder

The throw away type of pallets here are normally chemically treated. They usually come from items that are imported into Japan and the rules are severe because of attempts to keep (hitch-hiking) insects from entering the country. The greatest percentage of domestic pallets are plastic or specialty ones with deposits and manufacturers labels attached. The few times I've used any pallet wood, I've regretted it later...always filthy older pallets with spiral shank nails rusted making it difficult to remove--hardly worth the time for what little wood you get. Also, do not know what was originally being transported on the pallets! So IMHO, no thanks for pallets in any shape or form!
Old 02-12-2014, 05:10 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikku View Post
The throw away type of pallets here are normally chemically treated. They usually come from items that are imported into Japan and the rules are severe because of attempts to keep (hitch-hiking) insects from entering the country. The greatest percentage of domestic pallets are plastic or specialty ones with deposits and manufacturers labels attached. The few times I've used any pallet wood, I've regretted it later...always filthy older pallets with spiral shank nails rusted making it difficult to remove--hardly worth the time for what little wood you get. Also, do not know what was originally being transported on the pallets! So IMHO, no thanks for pallets in any shape or form!
I agree w/you. Probably not a good idea there in Japan.
Old 02-12-2014, 05:18 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les View Post
NC,

Everytime I get a product on a pallet I have to pay a deposit. Somewhere around 10-15 bucks. They are hard to come by in the west...
I'm sure it's different in certain areas. I can get them by the flatbed full here. Maybe I need to buy me a rig and start hauling them out west. They are more of a nuisance to businesses in this area. Businesses here even advertise often on Craigs' to give them away and thank you for "disposing of them". Nice oak ones.
Old 02-12-2014, 05:30 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

It seems you guy's in the south are awash in good hardwood. And more to come with the freeze headed your way. They say trees are going to be falling left and right.

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.