Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Oven Management > Firing Your Oven

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2012, 01:00 PM
Journeyman

Default Re: Identifying this wood. What kind of wood is this?

Burning pine does have problems if you stick your head in the sooty smoke at the beginning - that is where you get the cyclics which cause cancer.

Now, lets look at fundamental thermodynamics a bit. As temperature increases, the bonds break releasing energy (heat). Most flames are well in excess of 2000F. At the beginning of the fire - you are gasifing more fuel than can be combusted - thus soot (a product of incomplete combustion!) When at full flame, you have full draw of combustion air and fuel being gasified. That is why bellows exist - more air to the fuel means mo' bettah combustion and heat.

Solid and liqiud fuels cannot burn - they MUST be gasified prior to combustion. Them Oleoresins do NOT last long when at temperature because they evaporate in the neighborhood of 400F and become fuel. However due to the quantity of carbon to hydrogen bonds in them buggers, they give off a lot of energy (HEAT).

The crap that builds up in the chimney is from the start of the fire (heat up) and will burn off if the oven chamber is hot enough. The reason folks need their chimneys cleaned is due to poor firing practices! Allowing the flames up your chimney is a good thing as it is lots o heat which vaporizes the buildup off the walls - provided your chimney is properly sealed at the joints.

Moral of the story: Burn clean wood without preservatives and you will be fine. Just remember - pine is low on the BTU scale and is sooty at the start of a fire, but gets better with time. Just use hardwood towards cooking time.

CW

p.s. Why do I know this stuff? I are a Chemical Engineer which works at a pyrometallurgical facility (Molten Metal, sulfuric acid, really big equipment - what more does a kid want in life?) I have played at Oil Refineries, power plants and other industries as well and love getting paid to make chemicals work for me.
brickie in oz likes this.

Follow my build
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-17-2012, 03:29 PM
Master Builder

I agree with Brickie..... it's the flash point we are concerned with not the auto-ignition temp. when burning in the oven, there is open flames and n-heptane ignites ate -4c when exposed to a flame or ignition source. If I have my oven fully loaded at 500c and a roaring fire...there are no n-heptane molecules hanging around. Perhaps, i wouldn't throw a new piece of pine onto the fire at the same time as cooking a pizza because of the addition of smoke to the oven. But still, can't imagine there being any n-heptane molecules being available under those conditions.
Old 11-17-2012, 05:18 PM
Journeyman

Unfortunately - there will be a FEW - Thermodynamics does not allow for zero. However it will be so few it would be probably non-detectible if less than a 2 hour test of the flue were to occur (based off experience.) As my son would say in his pubescent deep voice "Don' worry 'bout it!"

Follow my build
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.