Old 08-21-2008, 07:26 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Hydraulic log splitter

1.5 ton isn't very much - may as well use an axe. I've had some oak that stopped my 20 ton splitter.

Les...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 10-11-2010, 02:30 PM
Master Builder

Harbor Freight has the 10 ton manually operated splitter on sale now for $80 and I'm thinking about picking it up this week at the closest HF. I was looking at this particular unit these past several weeks as it was listed for $120 until today when I caught the sale.
For $80 I'll give it a try as I have several green logs which need splitting.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO
Old 10-15-2010, 08:50 AM
Master Builder

Here's my new toy that I picked up at Harbor Freight yesterday, on sale for $80... ..
Attached Thumbnails
Hydraulic log splitter-p1050392.jpg  

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO
Old 10-15-2010, 12:06 PM
Apprentice

I've got the same 10-ton HB log splitter...it'll split some pretty tough woods. I have had some logs it just couldn't crack, the ram just stopped with plenty of room left. All in all though, it's a good tool for the money.

Split wood makes all the difference in being able to control the fire quickly...it catches almost instantly on a hot fire.
Old 06-03-2011, 05:10 AM
Serf

Log Splitters are always better than using the axe. It will save your precious time and the energy which you can use them in more important works.

Hydraulic Splitters are easy to use as they have a switch to on and off them. They are better than the electric log splitters also.

Old 06-03-2011, 05:15 AM
Serf

It is always better to use the Hydraulic Log Splitters than the traditional axe to use cutting the wood. They will save your and the precious energy which you can use for your other important tasks.

Hydraulic log splitters are easy to use and are much better than the electric ones also.

Old 08-31-2013, 01:03 PM
Master Builder

Anybody out there ever build a splitter?

I'm thinking of going the route of using a Japanese "K-car" water cooled engine (600cc) as the power source; weld up a frame out of square steel tubing that would hold the engine; mount that onto an axle (salvage rear axle from front-wheel-drive vehicle (wo springs); then use a section of I beam for hitch and main body of splitter.

haven't thought too much about it--but a heavy-duty hydraulic cylinder (stroke maybe 12-14") would do the trick. All the rest is simply a little hydraulic hoses, reservoir for hydraulic oil, hydraulic pump and valve assembly.

Making one would be a fun experience--a little different than building a WFO but none the less fulfilling. Then you would know your weaknesses quickly!
Poor design, poor welding, poor sizing of pump etc. but would be a real good way to pass the time making rather than swinging an axe forever!
Old 08-31-2013, 01:15 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

If you cut your wood quite short, around 6" or so, splitting becomes much easier. It means double the cutting, but this way the timber dries faster too.
Old 08-31-2013, 01:19 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

mikku,

I considered it for a while. My father in law gave me his 20 ton so I didn't pursue it.

These people have everything you need, you may have something like this in Japan.

Northern Hydraulics - We supply the finest hydraulic pumps, motor, valves, and Honda equipment offered.

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 08-31-2013, 02:15 PM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by david s View Post
If you cut your wood quite short, around 6" or so, splitting becomes much easier. It means double the cutting, but this way the timber dries faster too.
David s, that is good for pizza ovens but it makes a real pain out of piling up the wood, piles just like to fall over. My Jotul takes wood that is 400mm long, that is about as close to 16" as a chainsaw can cut. Even with that the piles are tippy. The oven takes almost anything but I need consistency in my life so everything 400..

had a splitter while in USA, was a communal operation since there were 4 family members burning wood at the time. That one was a manufactured unit with a big Briggs. I really got tired of pulling the rope on that one!

I think after seeing and using that for 20 years, I can come up with something better with scavenged parts around here and a little welding. I like the idea of turning a switch. There is also a good possibility of getting a 600 cc diesel as well, properly mounted--would be cheap to operate and last the rest of my life!

Just have to add that to my want to do list..It is longer than my arm right now and growing!