Old 04-17-2008, 06:10 AM
Journeyman

Default Re: Hydraulic log splitter

Yeah, I have one. I got permanently sidelined from a horrible back injury. Arresting a super strong, drunken, mental dude. There is NO wood chopping in my future.
The cool part of the unit I have is that it has two roller blade style wheels on the heavy, business end. This allows me to roll it next to the end of my deck bench (fulcrum) and lever it onto the bench. No more bending over! Even a broke dick dog, like me, can move it around with relative ease. It splits wood nicely as long as you don't overload it. Log length has to be under 18 inches. (45.72 cm. for my metric friends)
I've had it for two years and it still works.
Old 04-17-2008, 09:01 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thanks for the review PizzaPolice. I'm sorry to hear about your back. I really appreciate the hard, thankless work that you law enforcement guys and gals do for us!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Updated!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 04-17-2008, 09:19 AM
Journeyman

I really appreciate it, Ken. It was a great ride!
When life closes one door... Due to that event, I've been afforded the opportunity to learn all things PIZZA!

So...... Next time you fly over Northern Indiana, spit out the window for me.
Old 04-17-2008, 10:26 AM
Master Builder

I can't speak to these HF units, but as a healthy under-40 male who has split many logs over the years, I absolutely love the splitter my mom bought last year and can't believe we went so long without one! I think they are definitely a good investment if you chop much wood. I would recommend a motor-operated unit, unless you have an opportunity to test out this hand-pump unit before you buy.

PizzaPolice, I'm from LaPorte. Are you near there?
Old 04-17-2008, 06:44 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

George, I had been fighting both shoulders for over 3 yrs (the right, my dominant, for several more than that). Building my oven - carrying all the materials and mixing all that concrete by hand (stupid, very stupid) did me in. The right was nearly completely detached. With the bone spurs I had, both were only going to get worse. Finally, completely pain free and full range of motion in both within the past 3-4 weeks...many months of strengthening still ahead. (Will be playing golf again this year...first time in 4 yrs).

RT
Old 04-17-2008, 06:52 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

PP, I sympathize with the back.....sorry to hear its a severe permanent injury. I have 3 lumbar discs that are shot. Although not a severe problem, not a week goes by that is does not flare up and hamper my projects.

George - I will agree with you on back surgery, I will only go that route if it truely cripples me....I know more guys who have had that backs hacked up than have been helped.

RT
Old 04-17-2008, 07:01 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by PizzaPolice View Post
Next time you fly over Northern Indiana, spit out the window for me.
Nahhh... Doesn't work. It just flies right back in

I'm an ex-Hoosier. Grew up in Fort Wayne.

Updated!

Old 04-18-2008, 10:57 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

RT,
Glad to hear your finally healing.

One of my friend's father-in-law, who was around 60ish YO, had a somewhat elective surgery on his upper back in order to relieve some pain he was having. He ended up a quadraplegic and bed-ridden from the surgery, and has to be taken care of by my friend and his wife now. Not all the surgeons are as skilled as they lead you to believe.

-
Old 04-18-2008, 03:47 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I bought a hydraulic unit. It had to handles to pump the jack.

It didn't last the weekend. I returned it for a refund.
Better to save up and grab an electric model.

My 2 cents.

Dave

My costs:

My pics:

Old 08-21-2008, 05:27 AM
Master Builder

Hi Folks!

Any of you tried or have an opinion on this unit:

Quality Craft Foot-Operated Log Splitter 1.5-Ton Capacity, Model# LSF-001 | Log Splitters | Northern Tool + Equipment

It's a ratcheting foot operated log splitter. I saw one on Ask This old Hoiuse a while back.

Christo