Old 01-22-2007, 09:55 AM
Apprentice

Default Re: How much soot?

That, and I'm not exactly a skilled fireplace person, campfires, boy scout stuff, etc. I'm learning many things at once. I already know dough making, I think, at least.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 01-23-2007, 10:23 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Looks pretty normal to me. If smoke comes out the front you're going to have some soot build up. Adds character. Mine looks about the same.

Jim

Tiempo para guzarlos.....
...enjoy every sandwich!
Old 01-23-2007, 10:35 AM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xabia Jim View Post
Looks pretty normal to me. If smoke comes out the front you're going to have some soot build up. Adds character. Mine looks about the same.

Jim
sure, I'm not going to worry about keeping it obsessively clean.

Old 01-27-2007, 04:32 PM
Peasant

i actually had a fireman friend happen by when i did my first fire(s) and, as it turned out, i was a rather fortunate that he did. when i started my first fires(s) the initial smoke lapped up the face of my oven while it tried to find the chimney - i quickly thought to myself that it wouldn't be long before there would be soot build up on the face of my oven (which i didn't want) if this was going to be the norm.

but when my fireman friend saw this he rolled up a piece of newspaper tightly, lit it on fire, and once it had a good-sized flame going he held it up to the flue/chimney opening - after a few seconds of him doing this you could actually hear the air being sucked up the chimney, like a wind tunnel, and along with the air the smoke from the rolled up newspaper. once the chimney was "primed" none, and i mean none, of the smoke of my fire(s) even came close to lapping out the front of my oven. it was as if it didn't have a chance once it neared the strong draft started by the rolled-up newspaper.

anyway, whenever i now start my fires i always "prime" my chimney in the same manner and smoke coming out of the oven is never a problem - nor is soot.
Old 01-28-2007, 05:46 AM
Brick Oven Merchant

Brilliant. Thanks for that one.
James

Old 01-28-2007, 07:39 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Aeaneas, James,

Should have thought to post this earlier. In winter, my inside fireplace, which has a very short total flue, will smoke if I don't roll up a piece of newspaper and do exactly what your fireman friend demonstrated. This isn't a problem with my outdoor oven; the flue seems to heat up right away. Perhaps it's the temp differential between inside, heated air and the cold air of the flue (clay liner) with my fireplace. By contrast, the air temps with the outdoor oven are pretty close to equal most of the time, at least when the fire is first started. Again, though, I put on the draft door once the kindling has caught and the first six or so bigger bits have been tossed on. This really gets the draw going.

Jim
Old 01-28-2007, 05:23 PM
Peasant

i've noticed that if a fire is started in an indoor fireplace or pizza oven the smoke often has a tendency to want to flow out into the living area - however, if you open a nearby door prior to starting the fire, a draft is created and the smoke will immediately make its way to the chimney.

as far as the look of soot on the face of the oven is concerned, i agree with an earlier poster that it adds to the character of the oven. but this is not a look that you want if you are planning to install your oven in a restaurant/commercial environment - unless you want to be forced to shell out another $10k-$15k for a mechanical type 1 ventillation hood fitted with an automatic fire supression system.

for commercial applications many types of refractory wood burning pizza ovens, such as many of the ones discussed in this forum, are allowable (assuming ul/etl certification) and given hood exemptions by environmental health agencies, building departments and fire departments because of their efficient designs which allows for efficient direct venting. but if you want to get such an exemption yanked, one of the best ways to do it is have your oven show signs that smoke is escaping from the front of the oven into the cooking area - soot on the face of the oven would be such a sign.