Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Oven Management > Firing Your Oven

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2013, 10:30 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: First Fires in the Nightmare Build - long

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeppiper View Post
Not to sound cliche'....but....if you want something done right....you have to do it yourself!!!
As a contractor that takes pride in knowing their craft, I beg to differ. As a homeowner, I agree completely.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Current WFO build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 12-18-2013, 06:51 PM
Serf

Aftert talking to Forno Bravo and emailing them pictures of the build, and then talking to their production engineer(Sam, I believe), he and Maria told me to stop curing the oven. Sam's words were "bad build". No kidding

Insufficient insulation blanket, bad cap on the dome were the two things he mentioned. I called the builder and told him that don't take my word, take the manufacturers. Allegedly all photos of the build have now been sent to the production manager by the mason and they will have a teleconference tomorrow morning that I have been invited to attend. I will be thereto make sure the conversation covers ALL design concerns.

I am not worried about being left in the lurch. My wife sleeps with a trial lawyer with 25 years of experience. I am most concerned that when/if this goes final bad, I have ensured he has had every opportunity to cure his failures. After being a trial judge, I have learned the art of patience and allowing one to hang themselves.

In the end, if the current guy can do it, great. If he can't? I have a contract, a warranty, and a trial lawyer with far too much time on his hands and who is rabid on the issue. : ). I will have the oven I bargained for at the price I bargained for. The rest of the guys work is wonderful according to another mason who did some unrelated work on the house. This? We shall see.

B
Old 12-20-2013, 05:59 AM
Serf

After the teleconference with Forno Bravo, the oven will be stripped down to the base, top cap reset, exterior inspected and remortared, and at least 4 inches of insulation blanket installed over the dome.

Additional photos wil be sent of the hidden portion of the build so they can inspect the concrete base and foam board under the floor.

Will the mason be able to pull it off? We shall see. He has a large financial incentive from the builder.

I am at 5 months of the build. My last house took less time. That was only a 1900 sqft brick ranch - nothing as complicated as a kit pizza oven with available video instructions.

B
Les and TexasCCW like this.