Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Oven Management > Firing Your Oven

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2013, 06:33 PM
Master Builder

Default Re: Firing After a Long Cold Winter

Recently i talked to a guy who sells and builds ovens. He suggested i use one of these to cure the oven. Electric Charcoal Starter-812-9137-S at The Home Depot
Old 02-12-2013, 07:24 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

A plain old charcoal chimney starter works great too!

Check out Karangi Dude's Heat bead Method .

It gives you plenty of control to start slow and then later ramp up the heat toward the end of the cure.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 02-17-2013, 08:54 AM
Journeyman

Here is my solution. However, be sure to keep the flame on low or have something where the flame can impinge upon (several bricks.) If not, the flame hitting the dome may crack it (experience) Yes, in this pic I have a normal firing, but you get the idea I hope.

Just a standard weed burner attached to a propane bottle. My gas line is 16 feet long to ensure separation.

Best o luck!
Attached Thumbnails
Firing After a Long Cold Winter-100_1376.jpg  

Follow my build
Old 02-28-2013, 03:51 PM
Serf

Do all ovens get wet during the winter and is there a way to keep it dry?
Old 02-28-2013, 07:14 PM
Journeyman

I would think you could tarp it...but that might look very good in your yard. I've got my oven covered with stucco and elastomeric paint. And I have a little roof over the parts likely to allow water to get into the oven.

I also have a vent in the back of the oven enclosure placed for the purpose of giving moisture an easy way out should there be water present when I fire.

My oven has "weathered" one winter, uncovered, with no indication of any moisture issues. That being said, we only get about 13-14 inches of rain per year here. Virtually all of it falls over the course of three months, but it's still not a lot compared to most places.

Bill
Old 03-01-2013, 12:01 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by C5dad View Post
My gas line is 16 feet long to ensure separation.
You can buy flash back arestors.