Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Oven Management > Firing Your Oven

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2013, 07:11 AM
Apprentice

Default Re: Fire won't stay lit

If it is wet wood, I have found the best way around this is to put 3 pieces of split logs as a hearth, put around 8 pieces of scrunched up paper in the hearth, then put kindling on top of the paper balls with a light sprinkling of dry sawdust. Get some used tea bags and soak them in methylated spirits (it burns off in the oven and does not taint any food), then light the paper - it will light!

Then add 4 reasonable sized logs on the fire using gauntlets.
Old 12-18-2013, 07:46 AM
Apprentice

I've purchased one of these fire starters from Harbor Freight and it has made starting a fire super easy. I just make a nice stack of logs and place the torch dead in the middle. 1 beer later and you've got a legit fire.

No need for newspaper, kindling, and prayers.

Propane Torch

Just be sure not to leave it unattended. I've got it hooked up to a spare propane tank
and it seems to lasts forever.
Old 12-19-2013, 01:38 AM
Apprentice

Man, that looks more like a flame thrower than a gas torch!

My son and I like making the fire together, so much so he went on a school camp and was the first one to have his tent pitched and fire going, when he had had a couple of sausages he helped others to put their tents up.

I don't think they would have allowed the gas torch on the camp...wish we had stuff like this in the UK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelevit View Post
I've purchased one of these fire starters from Harbor Freight and it has made starting a fire super easy. I just make a nice stack of logs and place the torch dead in the middle. 1 beer later and you've got a legit fire.

No need for newspaper, kindling, and prayers.

Propane Torch

Just be sure not to leave it unattended. I've got it hooked up to a spare propane tank
and it seems to lasts forever.

Last edited by GrahamG; 12-19-2013 at 01:41 AM.
Old 12-19-2013, 09:16 AM
Apprentice

It is a flame thrower! When the trigger is pulled a giant scary flame of fire scares erupts scaring women and children. The key is just to have it idle with a small to medium small quiet flame. I think its originally designed as a roofing torch but many use it to burn weeds and melt snow. In the future is also cleans vermin from the wheel wells of your intergalactic space travel machine ala Fifth Element.
Old 12-22-2013, 05:26 PM
Serf

Thanks for all the replies. It looks like it was just a case of a new oven(lots of moisture), unseasoned wood and inexperience. I've got it down pretty good now. It heats up to 700F in a few hours and makes great pizzas. I'll get a video up soon.