Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   Firing Your Oven (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f16/)
-   -   Finally hot enough to burn off soot (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f16/finally-hot-enough-burn-off-soot-1504.html)

mgraban 02-04-2007 01:03 PM

Finally hot enough to burn off soot

I think I finally got some dry wood and enough of it going.

I was hitting over 900F and burning soot off of the dome! I'll upload some photos later.

I should actually be able to get pizza going next weekend!

CanuckJim 02-04-2007 03:27 PM

Re: Finally hot enough to burn off soot

Good for you. There are many variables, and it can be a struggle at first, but you are definitely getting there. If it's any consolation, I've been doing this for years, and I had a heck of a time getting my oven up to speed today. Reason? Well, it was minus 15 C, with high winds and blowing snow. Got it done though, Ciabatta. I'll post the pics and James will take care of the video portions shortly, though I shouldn't speak for James.

Jim

mgraban 02-05-2007 12:07 PM

Here are some pictures:

Picasa Web Albums - Mark - Pizza Oven Feb 4

Sorry, it's easier to upload them there than onto the Forno Bravo gallery.

CanuckJim 02-06-2007 05:16 AM

Mark,

Ahh, I like the look of those pics. You must be very satisfied now you've got it going right. Well done.

Jim

Xabia Jim 02-08-2007 07:43 AM

Ain't not'n like see'n your dome go white/clear...bring on the pizzas!

Congrats!:D

Inishta 12-05-2007 10:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
A question for you experienced people out there. I am almost at the stage of putting a big fire in the oven. We cooked in it a couple of nights ago for the second time (too damned impatient) and as you can see we got a lot of carbon burnt off. The fire side of the oven, maybe 60%, and the roof is white but the opposite side is still black. As I didn't want to get the temp up to much I went ahead and cooked and it turned out great.

Is this normal?
Will the carbon burn off as the temp gets up?
Would it help to move the fire to the right side the next time?

Thanks in advance for any info.............:confused:

james 12-05-2007 10:22 PM

You are definitely getting there. Your oven will dry over the next 6-10 fires, and you will find that it gets easier and easier to make the entire dome white.

Keep the fire in the center of the oven, and you will see the top of the dome turn white first. The flame should "lap" into the top of the dome. As you increase the size of your fire, add new wood to the sides and the back, and you get to watch the white spot get bigger and bigger, until it reaches the cooking floor. How cool is that.

Keep going!

James

asudavew 12-06-2007 06:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mgraban (Post 7727)

I should actually be able to get pizza going next weekend!

I enjoyed your pics! You are so close.

Give it hell next time and that whole sucker will turn white!

Great work!

And don't forget pics of those first pizza pies!

Dave