Old 03-05-2008, 11:43 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Curing strategy

I did my curring fires under the old formula - 200,300,400 and so on for 7 days; only just reaching those temps, then letting the fires burn out. I used my IR and only measured dome surface temps. After the first couple of fires I sort of deviated and made the fires more spread out on the hearth after noticing only the dome peak was getting near the desired temp. I think the new formula should be a much more thorough process.

RT
Old 03-06-2008, 04:09 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Lake, am I right in thinking you're the first forum member to try this new curing technique? I think that should be worth a BOTM nomination, too...
Old 03-06-2008, 07:49 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Frances, are you running for some political office? Sounds like you are throwing BOM slips like they are candy Hey, I made mac and cheese last night, can we nominate it? Kidding Frances.

Acoma's Tuscan:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-06-2008, 09:15 AM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frances View Post
Lake, am I right in thinking you're the first forum member to try this new curing technique? I think that should be worth a BOTM nomination, too...
Nah, I'm just a guina pig. I do enjoy having the fire going all day, I wouldn't have enjoyed the old method at all.
It's starting to rain, so no fire today.

"It's time to go Vertical"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-06-2008, 07:27 PM
Journeyman

James et al,

I doubt any of us could wait this long but how long would it take an oven to "dry out" on it's own? I know we are supposed to wait 7 days before we start curing. Just curious.
Our temps in Cincy are below normal. Once we get a little warmer I can pour my hearth/insulated hearth and start the build!

Thanks
Dick
thebadger
Old 03-06-2008, 07:51 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Badger, do you have air temps that go to 700? On a progressive state? The reason for progressive temps is that no air temps get to the first level of burn temps for any duration, old school or new school. The thing is the mortar and moisture. You need to cure it. Old ways would still do progressive burns before going full throttle. There is no way to get full cure without curing.

Acoma's Tuscan:

Old 03-06-2008, 09:12 PM
Journeyman

Acoma,

Good to know. I was just curious. I thougth if you didn't cure it could dry out naturally but I see what you're saying.

I'm just hoping I can wait the 7 days .

Anything else you would recommend to keep the dome from cracking? I was planning on keeping my mortar/bricks moist.

Thanks
Dick
Old 03-06-2008, 10:31 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hey Badger,
Isn't that an Otter on your avatar? If you had Flounder too, you could have an Animal House.

-
Old 03-07-2008, 04:29 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acoma View Post
Frances, are you running for some political office? Sounds like you are throwing BOM slips like they are candy Hey, I made mac and cheese last night, can we nominate it? Kidding Frances.
Can't let this one go... made me laugh! OK, I'll nominate your mac and cheese if you post it!

Thing is though, while most of us will never actually win the BOTM thing, its still nice to be nominated in recognition for your work, and if anyone thinks you're good enough to vote for even better. I know I was really chuffed! The more nominations the better, and it makes for a more interesting vote, too.

Maybe its a different approach to voting in general: in Switzerland we have about seven political parties, and five of them get to rule the country together. So voting is not so much about winning or loosing, but about how many percentages you get...

I'm not saying this is better or worse than anything else, but its probably another reason for my nomination mania
Old 03-07-2008, 05:39 AM
Journeyman

George,

Glad somebody noticed...

It's a play on words - a nickname from my shooting buddies when someone mis pronounced my name at state match.

I told them a Badger was a ferocious creature with sharp teeth. My buddies "insisted" that a Badger was a chubby, hairy creature that swam on his back munching on food all day

Dick