Old 11-05-2010, 04:05 PM
Master Builder

Default Re: Curing question about measuring temps

Once cured, you want to build the fire close to the entrance, as before. This is so you can reach the fire easily while getting it started. But once you get some coals and the fire really going, you want to push the entire fire to the back or side of the oven. Most people push it to one side so they can monitor the pizza more easily.
Old 11-05-2010, 04:25 PM
Serf

Thanks lwood, I have a friend with an identical oven. He's been over to Italy and he says it's best to push the fire to the back, which forces the heat over most of the dome before escaping up the chimney which will ensure maximum heating of the inside of the oven. Also, you make reference to using "coal". Forno Bravo has advised to use ONLY wood and not items such as lumpcoal. Can you explain what "coal" you're using? Thx again. Schotz
Old 11-05-2010, 06:16 PM
Master Builder

Wood coals, the chunks of wood that glow red. Not Coal, the stuff they dig out of the ground. I guess where you push the fire is a personal preference. I guess you could make an argument as to where is the most effective, side or back. If it's in the back, radiation from the flames is blasting your face. I have had flames extending all the way across the dome to the other side. Maybe some of the energy is lost out the door if in the back. That's all postulation on my part, but I have tried the fire in the back of the dome and I prefer it on the side. One of the reasons was it seemed to radiate right into my face in the back and not so much on the side. Also as I said before, you can see what's going on with the fire=side of the pizza. Especially the crust facing the fire. With the fire on the side of the oven, you can quickly turn the pie one-quarter turn to see how brown or chard the crust is. In the back, at least for me, i have to turn it several time to see the edge closest to the fire. IMHO
Old 11-07-2010, 03:46 AM
Serf

Thanks again lwood, once cured, I'll try the side fire. I'm getting close to my final 800F curing fire. I got to around 700F yesterday for a couple hours. I've read something about the dome turning white once you're "cured". I've noticed there are some white parts appearing in the dome area. Does the entire dome need to turn white before it's cured? Are there any other indicators that it's been successfully cured?
Old 11-07-2010, 08:50 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Canadians still use both. I find the Imperial units to be more "human scale" then the French units.
Old 11-08-2010, 12:23 AM
Master Builder

Schotz, if your getting to 700F, I'd say it's cured. The water will continue to be driven out with subsequent firings. The dome will clear if you go to 800F, you will know when it happens. I have a 60" oven and have no problem clearing the entire dome. Did you experience any cracking? especially around the flue area. Most everyone gets some cracking of the insulation layer. If smoke isn't pouring out of the cracks, it's probably ok. Will get filled by the rendering layer.

Neil2 - agreed, english units are based on the human body. The width of the Kings thumb is an inch, length of his foot....is a foot. etc. don't know which King, however.
Old 11-08-2010, 05:54 AM
Serf

Neil2 - thx, what exactly do you mean by "the dome will clear"? Do you mean turn white, as I'm starting to see a little whitening in the dome area? Don't see any cracks. I've been building fires for about 10 days now, very slowly each day for a few hours at a time. However, there are 1/8" to 3/8" gaps between the four castings that make up the oven as well as around the dome as it's a separate round piece too (2gCasa100).

I watched the masons assemble it and the castings did not fit perfectly together, so they've been that way all along. But they did fill in the gaps from the outside when they completely covered the dome with that special cement. - Schotz
Old 11-08-2010, 11:15 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

"what exactly do you mean by "the dome will clear"? Do you mean turn white,"

The term is called turning "white" but what actually happens is all the soot/carbon has burnt off leaving the bare brick colour.