Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Oven Management > Firing Your Oven

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2008, 08:35 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Curing, Cracks & Other Kentucky Conundrums

I agree with Ken! Good to hear from you Jeff.
I was just starting to decipher your lingo.. and you leave!
hahaha

Anyway. Glad life is treating you well.
Catch any of those prawns lately?
Man, those pics made me jealous!

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My costs:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My pics:

Old 08-13-2008, 08:21 AM
Journeyman

Asudavew,
Strewth - where to start, Dave?
Mate I feel somewhat embarrassed that you mob even remember that I lived.

I have stolen so much from you bunch of mongrels @ FB.
BUT,
I do suspect that I've done good by James, the one true Guru of Great Oven Craft - free to all and sundry.
Without fail, the pizza from our oven is eaten with a certain reverence: not unlike the emotions visited upon those who've witnessed the birth of a Hippy Potamarse, (or a Pteridactylarse, even).

And when I tellum it costs four fifths of fukall to build, they tend to ignore my warning when, on day 3 after the Pizza night, they reach in to retrieve that cold little old pot of pea and ham soup. (Hahaha goose, Old Mate. hmm. i thought i said you might benefit friom welding gloves: are you blind and deaf, or just plain stupid?... )

Some of our guests have even been known to swear, tru!. (Shit; just can't take some bastards anywhere, eh. Treat 'em like royalty, and they swear and curse like bloody troopers: Upsets me dog big mobs, it does, dead set.)

Anyway Dave, I just LOVED your video. Thanks for that, Happy Man.
And what your stupid video did for me, I think (hope), my stupid oven will do for others.

May WFO's rule.
I stop.
Jeff.
Old 08-13-2008, 10:41 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff View Post
May WFO's rule.
Amen! Don't be a stranger!

Updated!

Old 08-13-2008, 11:39 AM
Brick Oven Merchant

Life does not always treat you well -- but your wood oven will always be there for you.
James

Old 08-15-2008, 10:42 AM
Laborer

Ken: I've just had *exactly* the same problem: I'm so sorry I didn't get to learn from your mistake - but at least if I'm going to make one, I'm glad it was the same as a much better builder than me . Ironically, it's been on a relatively dry day here, I was worried about my mortar drying too quickly so I spritzed it a litte too enthusiastically and soaked the boards -the side wall of the vent at the front started to go and it's gone all mushy/compressable. Nice, at least, to know it isn't fatal.

Incidentally, is the board insulating better now you've dried it out? As far as I can tell, the ceraboard I used is a mixture of fibres, so apart from the mushiness, I think it'll be fine once it's dried.

Old 08-15-2008, 12:45 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hi Matt,

Sorry to hear about your mushy insulation! Once everything cured and dried out, the board seemed to stabilize. I notice the underside of the concrete hearth doesn't get hot any more and I haven't seen any settling since the "big one".

I don't see how it could get wet again, so I think it will be fine from here on out.

Updated!

Old 08-16-2008, 01:10 AM
Laborer

Good to hear! I'm doing a flat cast vent, but if I have enough firebricks left at the end of the dome, I'll do a double-width vent entry instead. This build process is weird: I'm swinging from happy euphoria every time I tap in a keystone to paranoid worry every night!

Old 08-16-2008, 07:51 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by aureole View Post
I'm swinging from happy euphoria every time I tap in a keystone to paranoid worry every night!
I can't tell you how many sleepless nights I've had worrying about my insulation board. To this day, I regret using that overpriced stuff.

Updated!

Old 08-17-2008, 02:17 AM
Laborer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken524 View Post
I can't tell you how many sleepless nights I've had worrying about my insulation board. To this day, I regret using that overpriced stuff.
Amen to that. Did the bracket solution work okay? I'm trying to decide whether to tear down and rebuild the vent walls.

On sleepless nights: I managed to worry myself into a tizz last night convincing myself I forgot to add fireclay to one of my mixes of mortar (it's pretty unlikely, but I was stressing it anyway).

Still, keystone today and maybe then I'll stop worrying. Yeah, right .

Old 08-17-2008, 06:02 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by aureole View Post
Amen to that. Did the bracket solution work okay?
The brackets are really there to contain a catastrophic failure. I hope I never find out if they work

Updated!