Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Oven Management > Firing Your Oven

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2007, 08:11 AM
Apprentice

Default Re: Curing, Cracks & Other Kentucky Conundrums

Quote:
Originally Posted by asudavew View Post
Here' a link for yins! It's Ken's deep dish easybake pizza.
<snip>
Notice the 2 tbls of flour.
And on top of everything else, it bakes for 20 minutes. I don't think the family will wait that long.

J W
Old 12-14-2007, 09:41 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwnorris View Post
And on top of everything else, it bakes for 20 minutes. I don't think the family will wait that long.

I think a little rewiring, a few dozen Halogens, 220volt plug.

90 second pizza sounds doable.

although the plastic oven might be worse for wear....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My costs:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My pics:

Old 12-19-2007, 06:04 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Earlier in the week I added some window screening around the oven and poured in about 6 bags of loose vermiculite. Still need 2 more bags. Hopefully this weekend.

I had the opportunity to fire the oven again this morning. I was able to get about 95% of the dome clean. Concrete under the hearth was still cool after about 2 hours; so I think I'm fine there.

A small chunk of mortar fell out of a joint on my inner arch - about the same place where Dave's brick fell (our ovens must be psychically connected ). The next 2-3 days will be above freezing so tomorrow I'll grind out the joint a bit and remortar. I have one or two other spots with hairlines in the arch that I may also grind and mortar.

The good news... once the dome went completely white, I was able to get a really good look at all the joints. Not a crack to be found anywhere on the dome. I guess my oven just chose the arches to kick up a fuss.

Updated!

Old 12-20-2007, 10:17 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Sounds like you might be alright now Ken. I'd just keep firing that thing up blazing and watch your crack (Hmmmmm - that doesn't sound PC) to see if it gets any worse. Once you've had 6 or 7 good hot fires in there, I think you will know if you need further repairs or not.

Just so you don't feel too bad, I thought everything was kosher with my oven. I've been preparing to pour a landing in front of the entryway and as I was cleaning up, I noticed that a couple of floor bricks had moved outward inside the entryway. I've got some 1/8" gaps between a few of them. I tried to tap them back into place and only succeeded in chipping a couple of the bricks. I just took some brick dust an filled in the gaps as best I could.

I'm proceeding with my landing pour tomorrow, which I think will stop further movement of the floor bricks. We'll see........

Anyway, hope your repairs work.
G.

-
Old 12-20-2007, 01:29 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

George,

Be sure to take pics! Good luck with the landing.

Updated!

Old 12-20-2007, 01:59 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Today I discovered, without a doubt, what is causing my headaches.

The good news is that my (lack of) masonry skills are not at fault.

The bad news...
It's the Kaowool insulation board that the oven is sitting on that is causing the problems. When this stuff gets wet, it turns to mush. The left, front edges of the board are wet due to condensation, leaking rain water, and leftover moisture from laying bricks.

So guess what's happening? The left arch support is slowly sinking into the board. That's what caused the initial arch crack. Today I noticed that my landing floor bricks were buckling a bit (they are mortared together and to the support). That's what tipped me off that the Kaowool was the issue.

I attached a picture of the support on the Kaowool, with a piece of fresh, dry Kaowool next to it. You can see the difference in height. Ouch. The issue may not be as bad as I first thought because I suspect the whole oven has settled a bit into the board.

After I got over my panic attack and temper tantrum, I decided that the best course of action right now is to simply start firing the hell out of the oven to drive the moisture out of the board. When dry, the Kaowool board is very rigid. So, once the moisture is out, there shouldn't be any further settling or damage. At that point I'll go back and repair whatever damage there is.

JAMES: Can you guys put a notation in the Pompeii plans recommending future builders to NOT use Kaowool Insulation Board under their ovens? This stuff is inappropriate for use under an oven. I would hate for someone else to go through this.
Attached Thumbnails
Curing, Cracks & Other Kentucky Conundrums-img_2220.jpg  

Updated!

Old 12-20-2007, 02:04 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Wow!

I would of never expected that.
At least you figured out the problem, and hopefully the solution.

I think my problem was even lower. I think my slab actually settled causing my crack. It seems it actually runs from the back, over the top(but much smaller) and around to my arch... the same spot my brick fell out.

I hope it is done, and I hope yours is done!

Fire that puppy and get it water proofed.

My costs:

My pics:

Old 12-20-2007, 02:09 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by asudavew View Post
Fire that puppy and get it water proofed.
AMEN!! That's the plan.

Updated!

Old 12-20-2007, 02:19 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken524 View Post
AMEN!! That's the plan.
Don't forget to cook along the way Ken!

If you have one of those handy kitchen bread makers, they work great for making dough!

My costs:

My pics:

Old 12-20-2007, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken524 View Post
It's the Kaowool insulation board that the oven is sitting on that is causing the problems. When this stuff gets wet, it turns to mush. The left, front edges of the board are wet due to condensation, leaking rain water, and leftover moisture from laying bricks.
I'm surprised. I would have thought it was a similar product to the H-W insblock19 that I used, and that was pretty much under impromptu covering and a leaky temporary roof for an entire winter, spring, and summer. It got wet numerous times, and it looked pretty much the same when I entombed it in insulating concrete as it did the day I lay it down. (In wet concrete)

Last edited by dmun; 12-20-2007 at 03:14 PM. Reason: Add picture