Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Oven Management > Firing Your Oven

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2007, 12:00 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Curing, Cracks & Other Kentucky Conundrums

Dave, classic you would be the one to find that.

Acoma's Tuscan:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-13-2007, 03:01 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Ken, looks like you have been "outed" by Dave. I laughed like hell reading Ken's Deep Dish Pizza recipe. The 2 tbls of flour almost seems excessive for an Easy Bake.....course it is a deep dish

On a serious note, is the repair still holding? Dude, we've all busted our butts on these ovens, I think I would actually have some sort of breakdown if I encountered either yours or Dave's problems.
As many have said, oven building is not an exact science and is open to much personalization while still being fuctional...very cool, but for most of us our ideas were unproven. Following your progress I would never have thought you would have a problem, really a great job.

Thanks for keeping this fun guys.

RT
Old 12-13-2007, 04:33 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by asudavew View Post
Easy Bake Oven Recipes
Yes, it's official. Everything is now on the internet!

Sorry to disappoint; the teeny-tiny pizza isn't mine. I make my quickie pizza's out of English Muffins and Ragu

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Updated!

Old 12-13-2007, 04:59 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Now that the confessional is open. I've done the English muffin/Pizza Quick Sauce thing....as well as hamburger buns, kaiser rolls, french bread...you get the idea. Isn't that what they make toaster ovens for? Desperate times (3-4am snack on a sleepless night) call for desperate measures. Sometimes I think I am pregnant (cravings), but last I checked that was still physically impossible.
Where is Dave? He seems the type that can top us all on improvising to fill a void in his stomach.

RT
Old 12-13-2007, 05:02 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTflorida View Post
On a serious note, is the repair still holding?
Thanks for asking RT... I did one really hot fire yesterday and everything looks good. A hairline crack formed in the joint next to the one I repaired but it didn't open up. I'll mortar a split above that joint for extra support and I think it will be ok.

Quote:
I think I would actually have some sort of breakdown if I encountered either yours or Dave's problems.
I wasn't exactly the smooth operator I presented myself as here on the forum (ask my wife) . I think I went through the 5 Stages of grief after I found the crack...

1. Denial: The initial stage: "It can't be happening."
2. Anger: "Why ME? It's not fair!"
3. Bargaining: "I promise to always use Caputo... Just let my arch be OK!"
4. Depression: "Might as well rent a bulldozer and get rid of it"
5. Acceptance: "It's going to be OK."

I'm on #5 now - Dave, what stage are you at?.

Quote:
Following your progress I would never have thought you would have a problem, really a great job.
Thanks, that's really nice. I appreciate the support and encouragement.

Updated!

Old 12-13-2007, 05:07 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTflorida View Post
Where is Dave? He seems the type that can top us all on improvising to fill a void in his stomach.
Oh that's funny. I just spit coffee on my keyboard reading that.

Updated!

Old 12-13-2007, 07:17 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

What is it, 6 kids AND a passion for pizza/food??? He has to have a few good food stories to tell. I think I just came up with the inspiration for his next thread. Should be a joy to read.
Old 12-14-2007, 05:45 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

...who would have thought that a thread with htis subject would turn out to be one of the funniest ones on the whole forum?
Old 12-14-2007, 06:29 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

well..

when I first saw the brick slipping....
I was like holy %^%&& , gosh $%^%$, what the #@$^%@$#

Anger... disappointment...
Sadness.

Overall....... despair.

All the hard work ---- for not.
The next day I went outside, and the brick had fallen.
more depression...
Thank Goodness for Paxil.
Anyways... Once I came to terms with my defunct ex-badWFO. I set off on a journey. A journey of enlightenment. I traveled far and wide. To all reaches of the globe. A quest.. "A how to fix my broken arch" quest. I ended my quest here. With my fellow WFO'ers. My questions were answered. My thoughts cleared, and a new sense of determination filled me.

This weekend I shall repair my WFO, and recreate that badWFO I once had.

As you were.

Dave

My costs:

My pics:

Old 12-14-2007, 08:02 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I've read that "fallen arches" can be quite painfull and that 5% of the adult population are sufferers. Dave and Ken are the first 2 I have ever known.
I know a good orthopedist and podiatrist if you guys are interested. I think it would be quite entertaining to walk in carrying your "fallen arch" brick and photos of you oven, begging for relief from the pain and anguish.

I wonder if your health care insurance would cover it, provided you meet your copay and deductable.